We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

We get to San Pedro de Atacama Thursday 27th December 5pm onwards.

We would like to get to Iguazu on Saturday 28th December. I have been looking on Andesmar bus website ( San Pedro - Salta ) but thier buses only leave on a Thursday 9.30am, but we arrive to late on the Thursday. We were then going to fly from Salta to Iguazu. We are finishing up our 3rd day of the Uyuni Salt Flat tour on 27th December & was going to be driven to San Pedro. Could anyone please suggest another option to either catch a bus from another town down to Salta.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro de Atacama
San Pedro de Atacama
Antofagasta Region, Chile
San Pedro
San Pedro
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Salta
Salta
Province of Salta, Argentina
Uyuni
Uyuni
Potosi Department, Bolivia
Geleen, The...
Level Contributor
44 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

Hi!

There are very few busses between San Pedro de Atacama and Salta, I believe 3 - 4 weekly by Andesmar and another Chilean company. Leave some space in your itinerary, in case the bus to Salta leaves the day after you arrive to San Pedro for example.

Another option is to them drop you off in Tupiza, Bolivia. There are daily busses from Tupiza to Salta, mostly overnight.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro de Atacama
San Pedro de Atacama
Salta
Salta
San Pedro
San Pedro
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

Hi, You have buses form SPA to Salta Tuesday, Friday and Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Arriving to Salta around 8 p.m. Buses to Corrientes or Resistencia leave at 5 p.m. from Salta arriving at 7 a.m. in Resistencia. you still ahve a long way to Iguazu... My country looks tricky when you try to figure out the distances.

It seems to be You have a short time. Why don¨t you relax and stay longer in the NW and relax???

JUst a suggestion...

Angie/Giena

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

Thank you for your information. As we couldn't get a bus on the day we needed we are now catching a bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Calama , then flying from Calama to Iguaza.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro de Atacama
San Pedro de Atacama
Shropshire,UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

A word of warning to anyone taking the Bus from Salta to San Pedro Atacama. We travelled on the Pullman Bus from Salta to San Pedro on 22 October 2013. There was NO water either offered nor for sale on this bus. You really must take at least a large bottle of water per person given the high altitude on this trip. Most of the tourist passengers had run out of water 3 hours before arriving in San Pedro. In addition, the breakfast and lunch provided were minimal to say the least and it is a long trip 7am until 6pm with only two "formal" stops. First at San Salvador de Jujuy Bus Station [short stop] and then at the Border.

Loo had no seat, no paper and no soap - take wet wipes! We had been told it was a luxury bus and were perhaps naïve in not being fully prepared for the journey. That said the journey is spectacular and well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
San Pedro
San Pedro
San Salvador de Jujuy
San Salvador de Jujuy
Province of Jujuy, Argentina
Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

We just did the crossing with Pullman buses (departing 19/11/13, which was a Tuesday) from Purmamarca to SPA.

We arranged to be dropped at Purmamarca, had a night there, and therefore didn''t have to get up early in the morning for the bus, which arrived at Purmamarca around 10am (having started at Salta around 7am). We had reserved our seats at the Salta bus station the week before. Our bus was full.

From what I could see at the bus station offices, there seemed to be a few bus lines that do the crossing, but not every day. So it's a matter of finding the bus company that fits with your plans.

Having read quite a bit about the bus ride over Paso de Jama before we went, we took three big bottles of water, snacks/food, tissues and disinfectant hand cleaner (the toilet was relatively clean but had no paper etc - everybody was keen to use the toilets at the border station). We also had aspirin, and we had taken altitude sickness tablets in preparation for the crossing (you go to about 4500m).

The Pullman bus didn't actually have a stop, other than at the border, which is 3/4 of the way if you're going from Salta to SPA. However, we did stop at Susques because a man on the bus had altitude sickness (not uncommon, according to the driver) and had to be treated at the hospital there, so we got about 30/40 mins walkabout time.

It was an AMAZING drive - grazing llama, volcanoes, hyper bright green alpine vegetation, crevices of water and salt lakes. There were hairpin bends and valleys on the Arg ascent, but the descent on the Chile side was a gradual drive in a straight line - one didn't really feel as if we were losing much altitude - and we were a bit surprised when we'd reached SPA.

It was clear until we got into Chile, where it had been windy and there was dust everywhere, so visibility wasn't as good. It took 8.5 hours (delays due to hospital stop and industrial go-slow on the Chilean side of the border) but it passed relatively fast because the scenery was so incredible. But I understand that the buses are usually at least one hour late.

It might sound as if we were over-cautious, but I thought we were well prepared and we certainly were able to enjoy the ride.

The bus had two drivers plus an assistant, and it always went at a sensible speed. I felt in safe hands. There were two movies en route, both strangely in English language. But I suppose that's an indication of who they think is on the bus - it did seem to be mostly tourists.

Here's a recent article from The Guardian theguardian.com/travel/2013/sep/19/argentina…

Mentioned in this post
Purmamarca
Purmamarca
Province of Jujuy, Argentina
Salta
Salta
Chile
Chile
South America
Cardiff, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

Hi all

I arrive in San Pedro de Atacama in November on a Thursday about 12noon and want to travel to Salta (have a flight from there in the evening on the Saturday) but am getting so confused! Every website I look at it suggests different bus companies, departure days and times, and routes. When I go on the bus websites it says that they don't do the route even when I put in a date less than 30 days in advance. Can any one please help me and give me some definate answers? Otherwise I will have to change my route which really don't want to do. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro de Atacama
San Pedro de Atacama
Salta
Salta
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

You can take the Train or a bus from Uyuni to Villazon that is in the border with La Quiaca (Argentina) and from there a Bus to Salta (Balut - Flechabus - Andesmar)

http://www.fca.com.bo/

Mentioned in this post
Uyuni
Uyuni
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Salta
Salta
Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

That route is always changing according to the season and other circumstances, it has for years. You need to be very flexible to travel this route, and leave several days in case problems arise. If not, then you should stick to the normal routes tourists use. If you plan too fine in South America, generally, you will come to grief.

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

Thanks but I will have just come from Uyuni so don't want to go back there if can help it

Mentioned in this post
Uyuni
Uyuni
London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta

eva, i just came from SPA and asked around several bus companies. i don't think there are night busses from SPA to Salta. they all seem to leave at 9:30am, and you'll get to Salta in the evenng--so if you arrive SPA thurs, you leave fri morning, and have fri night in Salta, well in time for a saturday evening flight.

we broke the trip with two nights in purmamarca, arriving about 7pm ish--still 3-4 more hours to Salta. most of the journey between SPA and Purma was us leaving SPA 1.5 hrs late as we were waiting for people coming in on a flight, and then 2 hrs at the border as there were two busses ahead of us. bring a good book!

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta