We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days In Salta Region

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
5 Days In Salta Region

We will be in the NW region in March next year (arrival noon 3 March - depart via the overnight bus to Atacama PM 8 March) which gives us five full days to see this area. We had thought that we would do a loop north for 2 days (Purmamarca/Tilcara) and then a loop South for three days. However, our trip after Salta will take us to the high desert and mountains of Chile and then the Salt Flats in Bolivia. My question to those in the know - would we be better to spend all our time visiting the region South of Salta (and thus spending more time in the Cachi - Cafayate area? My thoughts now are that the area around Tilcara and the salt flats near Purmamarca may not be needed given the very similar sites we will be seeing in Chile and Bolivia later in our trip. A slower and more detailed visit to the South may make more sense. Any comments?

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

No... Salta area, Cachi, and Cafayate is far different to Humahuaca and PUrmamarca.... and far different to Bolivia, and Far different to Chile (fortunatelly!)

Salta - Cachi you see a valley, then a slope to the clouds and green in March a lot (Still) but you can slip it if it rains... From Cachi to Cafayate you will see a chain of green valleys with crops and cattle... a moonlike scenery and a fantastic work of the erosion... in those hills, an antique lake left tracks!!!

From Cafayate to Salta half the way with fantastic rock formations... green vineyards... NO point of comparison...

Purmamarca is a little town framed by colourful mountains... 7 colour mountains... you can get the tickets to San Pedro de Atacama in Slata and take the bus form PUrmamarca... And the trip to Atacama is not an overnight drive.

Warm regard,

Angie/Giena

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

Even although you're going to be visiting cile I would still do both the North and South, Purmamarca is a lovely place to stay and the landscape is different to the South i would just not visit the salt flats.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

Thanks to both of you - will keep the original plan and do both North and South of Salta.

For Giena - I may have made a mistake, but when I checked the bus schedule - I thought that the Andesmar bus departed in the morning at 0100 (that is 1 AM). Am I mistaken? Thanks again

Peru
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

Check out this CN Traveller articles on Salta and the Calchaquí valleys

cntraveller.com/recommended/hotels/argentine…

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

No, it leaves at 10 a.m. from San Pedro de Atacama... I usually recommend you take Geminis or Pullman.. those are in that road since a long time ago... and it leaves to SPA at 7 a.m....

Have a great time...

Angie/Giena

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

Is there a bus that would pick you up from Tilcara on route to San Pedro ? Don't really want to have to go into Jujuy city to get the bus as prefer being in the valleys.

Also going to Cafayate for 3 days and I'm guessing I will have to go back to Salta to get the bus to Pum ?

Your a great adviser by the way as I have been reading many of your posts

Thanks

Sheryl

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

Excellent. I'm in salta just now and plan to go Cafayate for 3 days then Pum then Tilcara. I'm guessing the bus won't pick you up there as it's a different route to San Pedro?

Also I'm guessing I will have to go back to Salta to get the bus to Pum ?

Do you know if there is a bus company site to use ?

Your a great adviser by the way as I have been reading many of your posts

Thanks

Sheryl

8. Re: 5 Days In Salta Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17