We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four nights in Salta. Is Cafayete/Salta/Jujuy possible.

Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Four nights in Salta. Is Cafayete/Salta/Jujuy possible.

My wife and I will be spending a month in Argentina for the second year. We are planning on taking two "excursions", the NW and Pto. Madryn.

We'd like to base our NW trip in Salta with day trips to Jujuy and Cafayete. There seems to be so much to do in Salta, but Jujuy and Cafyete sound interesting. Hiking is not an interest. We tend to favor sight-seeing, food/wine and people watching.

Should i get a car and driver (guide) or take a bus? Is either city a definite overnite?

We are thinking of arriving Dec. 2 and leaving Friday, late afternoon. Is weather likely to be a factor and what can we expect, climate- wise? As always, any Forum help in appreciated.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four nights in Salta. Is Cafayete/Salta/Jujuy possible.

Hi, Motown-Lucky, Personally i do not recommend the buses in the NW as they make you waste a lot of time adn from the bus you do not really see so much. There are regular tours everyday to Cafayate and Humahuaca but those are al one day tour long drives but at the end you feel you did it too fast...

In my opinion, you can rent a car or hire a guide. Driving also needs your attention on the road and if you are not used to drive it will not be so pleasant.

My suggested itinerary is

Salta - Cafayate wine tasting

Cafayate , goat cheese tasting... - Salta

Salta - Purmamarca - Salt flats...

Purmamarca - Uquia - Humahuaca - Tilcara - Salta

This is, IMHO; the best way of using four days in the NW of Argentina

Warm regards,

Giena

Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four nights in Salta. Is Cafayete/Salta/Jujuy possible.

Giena,

How much time will that give us in Salta? I have no problem driving if the roads are good, but I think a driver and car would make the trip more enjoyable than "white-knuckling" my way through the NW and missing a lot.

I've read there is some great dining and entertainment in Salta, but don't want to miss too much while we're in the area.

Would your suggested itinerary to Humahuaca include a stop in San Salvador?

Please PM me with your email so that I may contact you directly and thanks so much for your info.

Lucky

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four nights in Salta. Is Cafayete/Salta/Jujuy possible.

If you distribute the time properly you will be able to see as much as Salta can offer.

San Salvador is not the best place to stay, but Purmamarca.

Giena

4. Re: Four nights in Salta. Is Cafayete/Salta/Jujuy possible.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17