We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

New York, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

We are going to El Calafate for sure, but I can't decide whether to go to PM or El Chalten. I understand there won't be any whales.. are the animals truly amazing? Can you get very close? If we end up in Puerto Madryn on New Year's Eve will there be anything to do?

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

Whales are gone by the end of October...but visiting Península Valdez, you will be able to see sea lions, and seals...in Punta Tombo is one of the biggest penguin colony in the world

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

Yes the whales will be gone by late December. Their time in Gulfo Nuevo is around the end of May to the first weeks in December. And yes you can get very close to the whales. I went last week and got some really nice photos!

Most visitors staying in Puerto Madryn visit Peninsula Valdes one day and Punta Tombo another. They are both full day excursions.

You can take a small group tour for arg$115 + arg$35 entrance fee to the Peninsula. The entrance fee is arg$20 for Punta Tombo.

On December 31 there will be many people out and about. The Argentines are famous for staying up late and midnight is when the night is just beginning. There are sure to be a lot of fireworks and parties.

You should check availability on accommodations right away. Puerto Madryn is a popular beach resort town and receives many visitors from North and South America.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you!! both places are amazing!! El Chalten is really good if you like to trekk and be in the middle of nowhere, like in a cozy place and good food, astonishing surroundings, etc. Then, Puerto Madryn is unbelievable too if you like wildlife! and also for the landscapes!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

How close can you get to the animals?

Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

¨How close can you get to the animals?¨

At Punta Tombo there are marked trails and you can walk among the penguins who nest there. They do not seem to be very much disturbed to have people walking around. Penguins do have the right of way and visitors need to let them pass. Most times Guanacos are fairly close to the beach here.

On Peninsula Valdes you can get within 30 ft of the Elephant seals at Punta Cantor and closer at Punta Delgada.

With the other animals it depends how close they are to the roads.

Maras sometimes are just off the road and they are not really disturbed by vehicles.

The rheas tend to move away when they see a vehicle and the Guancos tend to stay where they are.

If you go to Punta Norte you will find friendy hairy armadillos!

Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

Hi I think that Chalten is a very amazing place to go, but the depends on your interest what to do and wich kind of city you want to spend new years eve.

Puerto Madryn and Peninsula Valdez are unique on that date cause, Puerto Madryn is a city with 80.000 inhabitants and Puerto Piramides into the Peninsula is 150 inh, but after new years eve a tradition starts with all the young people From the province goes to Puerto Piramides and the first days of January you can be there with more than 10.000 people ahearing good beach days , nice asados and the spectacular clean waters of the golf, and temperature is arround 30º.

If you need more info mail me

K.D

G.W

7. Re: Deciding between Puerto Madryn and El Chalten in early Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:17