We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

london
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

Hi! I am travelling to Argentina in November and am going to go to Peninsula Valdes (driving so that we can stay on the Peninsula). From here we are going to head back to BA. Is driving there a good or a bad plan??? I know that it is a long drive but I thought that we would be able to see more of Argentina this was and stop off in places on the way. I am interested to know if anyone has done this/has any suggestions/ can tell me what the roads are like? Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

It's like a 20-hour journey from Puerto Madryn to Buenos Aires. You will be able to appreciate along the way how the scenery changes from a desert to a praire, as Buenos Aires province has wet climate, while Patagonia is very dry. You'll hardly ever find any other cars or lorries between Puerto Madryn and Bahía Blanca. Traffic will start to appear closer to Buenos Aires. In general terms, National Route 3 is in good conditions. On the way, there are some places you may want to visit. There's a seaside resort called Las Grutas, which has nice beaches and the warmest sea water in Argentina. Carmen de Patagones, on the banks of Negro River, is the oldest city in Patagonia. Bahia Blanca is the most important Argentinian city south of BA. Not far away you'll find Sierra de la Ventana, a nice place to relax, which has old eroded mountains. Finally, there are other places, such as Mar del Plata and Tandil, which are very interesting but they aren't located enroute to BA.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

I have driven from Bahia Blanca to BA and it is pretty boring. Flat road with fields of cattle or wheat or soy. Small towns. You get a good sense of the pampa but it is a tedious drive and you have to put up with argentine drivers. As was mentioned the closer you get to BA the crazier it gets. I would recommend the bus. Upper level, front seats. You have a panoramic view. Sure you cant make a stop if you see something interesting but it is very comfortable, relaxing and a lot cheaper. I am not famliar with the PM to Bahia leg but I suspect it would better seen from the comfort of a bus.

london
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

Thanks - sounds like getting the bus is a much better idea! Think we will do that instead.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

I would also be interested in taking a bus from Puerto Madryn to BA. Can anyone suggest a website for bus information?

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

The best bus company BA _ Madryn is Quebus

www.quebus.com.ar

they have a daily service ( Executive) from BA at 3.pm

6. Re: Driving from Puerto Madryn to BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 12:27