We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Puerto Madryn

Which Puerto Madryn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Puerto Madryn

Hi all,

My wife, daughter and I are arriving in Puerto Madryn on 9th Jan 08 on the Celebrity Infinity cruise ship.

We would like to take a day trip around the area with Trelew and Gaiman being suggested as the best places to go. Please can anyone give me some advice as to the best way of getting around.

The ship offers excursions but as always the prices they are charging seem extortionate.

Is there much to see/do in Puerto Madryn itself?

Regards

Martin McCarthy

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Puerto Madryn

being from Wales, you will be interested to see Gaiman and Trelew, due the history of the welsh settlers in 1865..

But the best of all is Peninsula Valdez, which is about 100 km north of Puerto Madryn, and from there on 60 more km (north), to Caleta Valdez

Cardiff
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Puerto Madryn

Hi,

Thanks for that information but as we are on a cruise, we only have one day in Puerto Madryn so we need to know the best and quickest way to get around. What is the public transport like and is it practical to see everything in the 10 hour slot that we have. How much would a taxi cost to hire for the day?

Many thanks

Martin McCarthy

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Puerto Madryn

if you have only 10 hours, try to hire a private car and guide to see as much as you can...I will say Peninsula Valdes...

Avoid this time Trelew and Gaiman,....

Potomac, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Puerto Madryn

Hi! We are going on the same cruise in Jan. 2009--will be in Puerto Madryn around Jan 7. I note that you say that the Valdez peninsula is the best (versus Ponto Tombo and Gaiman). Will there be any whales for viewing at that time or are they generally gone by then? What else can you see then? Will we also be able to see sea lions and any penguins? We were in the Galapagos last summer and saw so many sea lions (oh are they cute!) but just a few penguins. We are going to see Penguins at the Falklands if we get there and hopefully also at Punta Arenas.

Any tour companies (for a day trip) that anyone would recommend?

Martin907--if you went on a tour, which did you do?

Thanks.

5. Re: Day trip from Puerto Madryn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 22:18