We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penguins in September?

Which Puerto Piramides hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Penguins in September?

Hello! We visited Puerto Piramides in February several years ago and found what seemed to be hundreds of thousands of penguins then. However, we're returning this year in early September and we're getting mixed informaiton about when they actually arrive in P. Piramides and Punta Tombo. Would early September be too early? We are unfortunately locked into the first week or two in September. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penguins in September?

Seasonal penguins are usually very punctual. I don't know those particular ones, but those I do know arrive the same week in September every year.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penguins in September?

Hi New Haven!

You'll be very lucky if you see penguins in early September. The rangers at Punta Tombo (which is the grandest penguin site in the world, bar none, when you take account of accessibility, weather, natural setting and the sheer number of birds) told me that the national park opens each year in the second week of September. They could not be more specific than that. (In 2013, it closes the day after Easter, but remember that Easter comes early, March 31, this year. Easter won't work in 2014.)

At best, I'd try to leave Punta Tombo to the end of the trip, and you may still be disappointed. Remember, too, that there won't be any chicks or young birds. September is when the penguins are just arriving to think about nesting.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penguins in September?

David, you do know that "New Haven" is a place?

"Hi, David!" or "Hi, Lunenberg!". Which do you prefer?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penguins in September?

The Falklands writer has a good question, and deserves an answer.

I always share my first name in the articles I write here. I invite you to call me David. My friends always do.

Many writers here don't offer their real first name. That leaves me in a bit of a quandary as to how one should address them. I don't really like using an internet "handle." Present company excepted, of course, many internet handles sound goofy, and I'm afraid I'd embarrass someone if I addressed him in such a manner.

I do, however, like to offer a polite salutation to Askers. I know that I could do as some writers do and merely go directly to the message without any greeting.

For those who'd prefer not to share their names, the best compromise I find is to address people by their location. In Merry Old England, a gentleman was always addressed that way, by his seat, even when people actually did know his given name.

And thank you for patronizing me! I do know where New Haven is. I've been there. And even Stanley, or "Puerto Argentino" as they seem to call it on the mainland!

David

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penguins in September?

Good answer, David. Apologies if you thought I was patronising. Some people call me Stanley, as they think it's my name! (No-one calls me "Puerto"!). :-)

Peter

Reply to: Penguins in September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Piramides
More Puerto Piramides Topics