We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

Which Trelew hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Topic
Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

Hi

I would like to know what is the best way to see the penguin colony,

Using a private tour Any recommendation-on a guide?

Or should i take organized tour?

I have two days in Trelew

1. One day i would like to see the penguin

2. And one day take a boat to see the orca.

I arrive to Trelew in November,

Thans

Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

Have you found out any more about this? We are also arriving in November and have 2 days. One day for the penguins at Punta Tombo and one for whales at Peninsular Valdes. Nievemartours offer both as day trips from Trelew for about $80 each. We will probably go with them.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

If you have a rental car, as we did, you can drive to Punta Tombo yourself. It's two hours from Puerto Madryn. All but the last 15 miles is fine paved highway.

The last fifteen miles are gravel. When we visited, the road was in good shape, easily drivable with no significant potholes. To make it worth your while, we counted more than 10 guanacos along the gravel road, and one even raced across as we approached.

We visited as just the two of us, with no group and no guide. The attractions in the park are obvious. In my view, a guide would merely be a hindrance, distracting you by spouting endless details about the mating habits of the Magellanic penguin and such. It's unlikely you'll find an English-speaking guide anyway, unless you make arrangements well in advance.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

Here's what we saw.

During the afternoon, a lot of visitors will be walking the trails, probably numbering in the hundreds (but remember, it's a very large park). Inevitably, we saw others getting up close to the penguins. Most of the birds didn't seem to mind. Some touched them. The penguins didn't run away (and, when a penguin wants to, they can move faster than you might think).

Some penguins didn't seem to like being touched, but others showed no sign of displeasure. This is an everyday occurrance for penguins in the park, remember, and usually many times during a day. If they didn't like it the penguins could easily move to another spot not as close to the trails. The whole vastness of the park is completely open, with no fences to stop either penguins or people.

There were no park rangers to shoo people away from the penguins. The park is well-staffed with highly trained professional ornithologists, so I infer from this that, the "rules" notwithstanding, the park staff don't see anything gravely wrong with people touching the penguins.

Penguins have sharp beaks, so some who get too close could get a nasty pecking from an annoyed bird. Also, you'll see lots of penguin guano around, and the penguins look like some may have rolled in it. The real fear I'd have is not that I might pass a disease to the penguins, but that bacteria from their filth might infect me.

Our experiences were in February, when the chicks are adolescents and their parents seemed unconcerned about people. For all I know, different rules may apply when the chicks are very small. As happened with us, you'll see what happens when you get there.

Don't miss Punta Tombo!

David

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

I was in Punta Tombo last week and the park rangers were definitely monitoring the crowd. You are instructed not to touch the penguins, to stay inside the stone borders next to the wooden walkway and to always yield to the penguins who may be trying to cross in front of you. Signs of distress are discussed and if you notice a penguin exhibiting those signs you should back up.

We saw a few Argentines cross the border and peer directly into the nest. One of the rangers was quite upset that they were ignoring the regulations.

It's an awesome experience and amazing to see how close the nests (burrows) are to each other and to the walkway. With a good zoom lens you can get excellent close up photos without distressing the penguins in any way.

5. Re: Private Tour Or organized tour to Punta Tombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Trelew