We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bariloche Ash Situation

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bariloche Ash Situation

We understand that the Bariloche airport is closed for the next several weeks (I am writing this question on October 18, 2011). If we took a bus to Bariloche, what is the situation there now? Is the electricity working? Is there ash all over Bariloche? Any information would be helpful for making our decision. We are scheduled to be in Bariloche November 12-16. - Sarah

Argentina
Level Contributor
129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

Bariloche Airport is closed for maintenance from 24th October - 24th December. The work was originally due to be carried out in March 2012, but as the airline were not landing in Bariloche due to the ash, the work was brought forward.

Yes the electricity is working - there were some short power cuts after the initial eruption, but Bariloche is basically back to normal except for the closure of the airport.

Restaurants & Tourist service (Cerro Campanario, Cerro Otto, lake trips, Tronador, the National Park etc.) are all open as normal.

There are good days and bad days in Bariloche with regard to the ash. It had be extensively cleared in the centre, but there are still piles of ash along the route to Llao Llao. On windy days the ash can be blown around, but on calm or wet days it is usually OK.

The volcano is still spewing out a very fine ash and smoke (hence the flight cancellations) so on the days the wind is blowing in the direction of Bariloche there is a ash like cloud that means the views can be reduced (you can't see all the way across the lake for example).

If you take the bus I recommend www.viabariloche.com.ar take a 'Cama' or the 'Tutto Letto' service for the most comfort.

Woodbury, CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

The airport is closed till Dec 20 for maintenance.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

hi sarah, we just got back from bariloche and the situation is like this:

1. the airport is closed and will stay closed for the next few months. it was closed most of the time between the eruption 6 months ago and now (this is why they say it is open) but most days it doesnt work. from the look of it (the airport) i dont think it was open at all since the first eruption. the drive from esquel is 4 hours and you need to bring your own food as they dont offer anything but tap water and black coffee.

2. there is volcano ash. if you hit a rainy day the following will be clear but any other day you should expect a gray sand storm that cover everything. local people wear masks and they cover the car so it wont get to their engines. (volcano ash is not that good for you...)

3. 7 lake drive is cover with ash. again, after a rain you might have good visibility but the ground, trees and even lakes are cover with a layer of ash. the best think to explain it is think of a really heavy snow that happened the day before but it is gray dust instead of white snow. (my wife got asthma attack from it and this was the first time she got one)

argentina is pretty (we went south after this) so i would suggest going north (mendoza and salta) and then south (el calafate) and simply skip bariloche at this stage.

enjoy the trip.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

To make matters worse, another chilean volcano (Hudson) started erupting yesterday. Volcanic ashes are expected again starting today or tomorrow:

earthquake-report.com/2011/…

Argentina
Level Contributor
129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

ashachaf - how recently were you in Bariloche? The ash in the last few days has been particularly bad. The 7 lakes region also received more ash than Bariloche. El Bolson to the south didn't receive any as shown on the map on page 4 of this report: inta.gov.ar/bariloche/…Mapa_cenizas.pdf

verobaires - Reading the Hudson Volcano report you linked there is no indication that the ash will reach Bariloche, if fact the volcano is about 550km to the south of Bariloche!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

The ash from the Hudson has never had any effect around Bariloche. It is the Province of Santa Cruz which would be affected. This was the case in 1971 and 1991, the two large previous eruptions in recent times. Today things seemed to have calmed down a bit but, unlike Chaitén and Puyehue-Cordon Caule, everyone knows what the Hudson is like and takes the situation very seriously.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

jez, hopefully the ashes will not "land" again in Bariloche,

I was thinking in terms of yet another disruption of air travel. And that, not regarding Bariloche, obviously, since that airport is already closed!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

hi jez,

we were there during the first week of october 2011.

i understand that the situation has been like this since the volcanu erupted 6 months ago and they dont really do something to clean it (not sure if this is even possible as they pile it up but the wind keeps blowing it off).

el bolson didnt get much but my personal take on the area is - skip it. go south to esquel and calafate where you see amazing views without ash.

enjoy your trip,

Cumbria
Level Contributor
22 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

Before we left England our flight was re-directed to Esquel airport but the night before we were due to fly there - our flight was cancelled due to the second volcano. We were then left in El Calafate until new plans could be made. This cost us three extra nights of hotel bills and new trips to El Chalten which is a wonderful place. We then had to fly back to Buernos Aires but had problems at the aiport because even though our flight to Esquel had been cancelled, the new one had not been ticketed. I was sorry to miss Bariloche but upon reflection I think it would have been best to change our itinary before we left. Most people we spoke to were missing outBariloche and going else where...

limerick
Level Contributor
1 post
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bariloche Ash Situation

hi sarah i was wondering did you go and if so what was it like.. we are on a four month travel in sa and plan to be in barlioche on December 3rd///are we just wasting our time? How bad are things..im so disappointed as I know how beautiful Barlioche can be....but as we will have to travel two days on A Bus there from el calafate would we be better off to fly somewhere else???

thanks in advance

elaine

Get answers to your questions about San Carlos de Bariloche