We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is May a good time to see the glaciers?

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
from the islands
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is May a good time to see the glaciers?

I would like to go to see the glaciers in May for a weekend from Buenos Aires (Saturday morning to Monday morning return). Do you think this is a good time to go?

For hotel,airfare and tours,it iwould cost me about $1400 USD. What do you think or is there somewhere else that I could get more out of for the short time frame.

Thanks

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is May a good time to see the glaciers?

Thae air fare for non residents BA -Calafate - BA is u$d 434.- plus taxes ( aprox. u$d 97)...for 2 nights /airport transfers/tour to the Glacier...you are paying a lot...

Why don´t you make hotel reservations thru the web?...and hire the glacier tour in Calafate...

May is a good time..not the best

New York
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is May a good time to see the glaciers?

I think two days is not enough for the glaciers. Since you don't have much time, you should also think about going to the Iguazu falls.

Paris
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is May a good time to see the glaciers?

if you have the chance, do go to the glaciers!

from the islands
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: is May a good time to see the glaciers?

Thanks for your input. I was more concerned about the cost.

I know it is not a lot of time but I don't know when I will be able to visit Argentina again and what with global warming - who knows how that area will be in a few years.

I am sure the Iguasu Falls are nice but I have already been to the Angel Falls in Venezuela so I am not really excited to see more falls. I have never experienced glaciers so this is why I want to do this.

Patagonia, Argentina
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is May a good time to see the glaciers?

May is not a bad time. It can be cold and some hotels and shops closed, but few tourists around.

Different hotels can make a price difference. And I suggest to arrange your tours when you arrive.

6. Re: is May a good time to see the glaciers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 02:17