We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other attractions near El Calafate

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Other attractions near El Calafate

Hi

We have 5 days in Patagonia and had originally hoped to do Peninsula Valdes and Perito Moreno, however after researching our plans I do not think we can do both within the timeframe.

We think we should definitely see the Perito Moreno glacier, but my question is what else is there to do after you have seen the glacier (which I gather only requires one day). If we spend 4 or 5 days in the area what else can anyone recommend that we do?

Thank you very much

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

There are several other glaciers to visit (apparently Upsala is actually prettier than Perito Moreno - I've not seen it) and you could do some glacier walking or take a trip on Lago Argentino. You could also head up to El Chaltén to do some walking if you're in to that sort of thing.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
839 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

Hi! You can also visit a Patagonian estancia, which is quite different to the estancias in the Pampas. El Chaltén has many interesting sites if you like trekking or horse-riding. About the glaciers, a person I know told me that Upsala is better than Moreno glacier.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

Or you could cross over to Chile and go to Torres del Paine (www.torresdelpaine.com). I'm planning to go to El Clafate in November and cross over for 3 days to do some trekking. For trekking you also have El Chalten, which is meant to be trekking paradise. I haven't been and won't have time to visit it this time... I'm leaving it for my next visit (hopefully!). Or you could also go horse riding.

Enjoy!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

you could also take a cruise that goes all through the galciers and where you can spend the night, it's amazing. Or, go to an estancia as suggested - that is a really good program!

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

evamay...in Calafate and area

1) Glacier Moreno

2) All Glaciers boat tour

Two complete days....and drive to Chalten and spend at least 2 nights..

1) Cerro Torre trek...full day

2) Huemul Glacier Trek...towards Lago del desierto

Huemul Glacier has a fantastic view, on top of Lago del desierto...do not spend time and money with the boat tour at this lake

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

Upsala is big and v. interesting but not as spectacular as Moreno. And its location does not allow to get as close on all sides as Moreno...

7. Re: Other attractions near El Calafate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate