We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

We have been looking at the Big Ice Tour through Hielo y Aventura tour company. The total cost of that trip is over $400. It is unclear to us if there are other tour companies that run a similar tour. I have read some posts that imply that, but we don't want to book that tour unless we know that there is no other comparable, less expensive option.

Also, is the Big Ice tour worth that much more than the mini-trekking? It seems like it would be, but there have been some posts saying that the Big Ice tour is very touristy. I have not seen similar things written about the mini-trek.

any words of advice?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

I don't know about the mini-trekking, but I did the Big Ice a couple of weeks ago and it was the highlight of my 3-week holiday in Chile and Argentina. I'm not sure what you mean by touristy. From my point of view it is touristy in the strict sense of the word, as only tourists do the Big Ice, not the locals. But it's not the kind of tourist to goes to a place takes a picture and leaves. The Big Ice is not the kind of thing you would do if you want to see the Perito Moreno glacier. It's the kind of thing you would do if you want to feel the PM glacier and understand how it works inside, as well as enjoy this natural wonder.

Also, I must mention that the Big Ice guides were absolutely fantastic. Always going out of their way to make sure the group saw as many features in the glacier as possible, like lagoons, caves, etc and that it was always safe. They also made a big effort to explain how it all works inside and why it happens the way it happens.

The hostel where I stayed arranged the tour for me, so I didn't have to worry about anything. It was a bit pricey, yes, but I think it was definitely worth it. I paid ARS$ 435 including transfer from and to the hostel plus ARS$30 entry to the National Park, that you pay at the entrance once you get there.

As I understand it, there are several companies that organise the mini-trekking, but only Hielo y Aventura organise the Big Ice, although you can book it through lots of different travel agents.

Enjoy!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

I like the big ice more than the mini-trekking, but really both things are incredibly amazing. If you are like not so fit, and older than 40 then choose the mini-trek that almost anyone can do and it's greatttt too.

Pacifica, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

According to Teresa Gomez above for the Big Ice tour: "I paid ARS$ 435 including transfer from and to the hostel plus ARS$30 entry to the National Park, that you pay at the entrance once you get there."

I just wanted to double-check that it truly was in Argentinian pesos and not US dollars. That would make the cost about $130 USD by today's exchange rate. Is that correct?

Thank you,

Myles

munich
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

Thanks for the reassurance Llana! we're doing the Big Ice. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

if you us a $ sign in argentina (or on a an argentine website) it means pesos.. the symbol for US dollars is either: U$ or US$

El Calafate, AR
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

DO IT.

This is not a Nike ad.

A trip that you are going to remember for the rest of your life. That´s the Big Ice Tour.

You can do the Minitrekking (its the same and only company), but if your bones and muscles can do the Big Ice, don´t miss the chance.

Best regards

pd: remember to take fresh batts and a clean memory card!

Los Angeles
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

We are four active "older" adults (early 50's and early 60's). I would love to do the Big Ice but read on their website it is limited to people under 40. Can anyone tell me if this is a hard and fast rule, open to exceptions, etc.? We are all very active, hike, advanced scuba divers, etc. and I feel we would probably be fine on this tour, but then again, we haven't been there. The advice of people who have been on the Big Ice Excursion would be very helpful!!

Thanks, Ginny

munich
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

juan4t, wow! this sounds amazing. We are so excited!!!!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

Myles,

Yes, it was Argentinean Pesos I was talking about... the price above was per person, which comes to about £70 ($140).

Bubster,

The Big Ice was physically demanding but I wouldn't think it would be hard for you if you do activities like hiking and scuba diving. It might be worth checking with Hielo y Aventura (http://www.hieloyaventura.com/), the company who organise the tours, and explain that your fitness level is high. When I did it there were a couple of ladies who I thought were over 50. I hope they let you do it. You will never forget it. Good luck!

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Ice Tour on Perito Moreno

Big ice is the TOP...the MUST, the HIGHLIGHT, nothing touristy as the ice-trekking...

It´s expensive but worthwile...a different experience

Get answers to your questions about El Calafate