We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which 2 of the 3 should I do?

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
which 2 of the 3 should I do?

I am planning on being in El Calafate for 2 full days. Im trying to decide between the following: Big Ice, Estancia Christina, or All Glaciers. Which 2 should are the best??

Also, I wont be getting to El Calafate until 5pm. Im nervous about waiting that late to get reservatoins for these activities. Can anyone recommend or advise as to book these activities in advance? (besides hotel, since I havent booked that yet either!)

Thanks,

Brittany

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

Sorry, it's me again. I was also wondering if just spending one day in El Calafate is enough. Suppose we just did the Big Ice and thats it. Is spending 2 days too much?

If I cut out a day in El Calafate I could then spend 2 days in Buenos Aires instead of one.

Any advice???

Thanks,

Brittany

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

rent a car...do Glacier Moreno at sunrise, then go for Big Ice at 09.00 am...this will take a day.

Next day, do All Glaciers boat tour, full day

Bic Ice manage 20 people a day, with the boat tour, there are no problems.

Send a PM, I will try to book Big Ice for you

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

Alec,

Unfortunately we wont have time to rent a car, as we will be in and out of El Calafate (flying in, going to Torres del Paine next morning). I think you are right about choosing all glaciers over Estancia Cristina. Im not sure I would reallly love the estancia. If I were to do only the Big Ice, do you think I would really be missing out not doing the all glaciers? Or is the All Glaciers tour really cool???

Thanks!

Brittany

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

I will do All Glaciers Boat Tour, instead of Cristina..this year Cristina is running with a different service...a short one, and I have read in one of this posts, that people were dissapointed

Big Ice is a must...go for it, and do the all Glaciers Boat Tour...which is long, but worthwhile

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
32 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

Hello you should try the Hosteria Miyazato Inn as hotel. The people (Mr. Jorge) there are extremly helpful and will reserve your tours as well (in advance). Regarding the glaciers we have been there 2 weeks ago and did one evening drive to the Perito Moreno (by rental car) and the other day we took the All Glacier tours which is very nice and professionally organized. In comparison we still found the Perito Moreno more awesome. Here is the adress of the Hosteria Miyazato Inn: miyazatoinn@cotecal.com.ar

Good Luck Christoph and Simone

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
32 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

Yes one day in El Calafate would be enough - just go to the Perito Moreno and you will be happy.

Christoph P.S. Besides All Glaciers the other tours (Big Ice) i do not know.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

big ice? is that a mini trekking tour? do i need gear?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

We really enjoyed the All Glaciers tour. It sounds like you have a very whirlwind trip planned with very little time?

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

If you can afford it check out a lodge called Los Nostros,the only lodge in the glacier national park.It's awesome views are absolutely amazing overlooking the glacier balcony.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which 2 of the 3 should I do?

We did Estancia Cristina in January - it was expensive and in its current form amounts to little more than a long boat ride, followed by lunch, followed by a very short guided walk around the key buildings on a very remote estancia. It was disappointing and I couldn't recommend it.