We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

Hello -

My friend and I arrive in El Calafate on a Monday in April at 7pm. 2 of our friends will have just spend that previous weekend hiking/camping near El Chalten (Fitzroy?) and were originally planning on coming to El Cal to spend three nights with us, through Thursday, when we fly out at 8pm.

I'm worried that is too much time in El Calafate. True? We like to explore and do new things, and I'm concerned that after we see the glacier on that Tuesaday, we'll have nothing to do the rest of the time.

Instead, I'm thinking about driving half way (or all the way?) to El Chalten on Monday night or Tuesday morning, and coming back to El Calafate on Wed night, seeing Perito on Thurs before flying out.

Does anyone think this would be too much? Do you have any beautiful lodges or cabins in mind either in El Chalten or between there and El Calafate that you would recommend for 4 people? Helsingfors? Do you agree that 3 full days in El Calafate for non-touristy people like ourselves would be too much?

Thank you!

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

Two nights should be enough in El Calafate.

You can do the Big Ice Experience or Mini treking (Hielo y Aventura)on the Perito Moreno in the morning and visit the face of the glacier in the afternoon.

El Chalten is worth a try,whether is unpredictable.The fact that your friends would have spend some days there might be a good gauge on the wheather.

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

I recently spent three nights in El Calfate and really enjoyed it. We arrived mid day and spent an afternoon walking around town which has lots of shops and restuarants. The second day we did the "all Glaciers" tour. The third day we went to Perito Moreno and the final day we went to Estancia Nibepo. El Calafate was my favorite part of my trip around Argentina. While it's true that El Calafate pretty much exists to service tourists, if you end up spending three full nights in El Calafate, you will not be bored.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

there is plenty to do in el calafate for 3 nights.

el chalten is a long way to go for just a night unless you plan to go hiking and to get to the fitzroy viewing point you need 5-8 hours depending on your fitness level. it is amazing there though. El Puesto Sur are multi-person cabanas in el chalten that are pretty decent.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

I don't think those three nights will be too much. You'll be arriving around 7PM, so you will have two full days (we don't know what time your return flight departs).

From my experience, I wouldn't miss the lake tour (I think it's called "all glaciers" or something like that), visiting glaciers Upsala and Spegazzini plus Onelli Bay. IMHO, just approaching Spegazzini Glacier is worth that day trip. Next day for Perito Moreno Glacier + maybe some ice trekking (can't comment on that in Argentina since I went for the ice hike in Torres del Paine).

Yes, there's not much to do in Calafate, but if you go there for two nights, you'll have only one full day there.

5. Re: Are 3 nights in El Calafate too many? Where else to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate