We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please with Torres Del Paine itinerary from El Calafate

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help please with Torres Del Paine itinerary from El Calafate

Hello!

We are planning a short trip to Torres Del Paine from El Calafate at the beginning of March.

We only have 3 days ... here is what we were planning, although I don't know if it's do-able (keep in mind we are in our mid-20s and in pretty good shape):

DAY 1 - Take early bus (Chalten Travel / Always Glaciers) to Torres Del Paine, arrive 12:30pm Laguna Amarga.

Take shuttle to Refugio Las Torres (drop off bags there), hike to Base Torres, then hike back to Refugio Las Torres and spend the night there.

DAY 2 - Wake up early, take shuttle back to Laguna Amarga, and then bus to Pehoe. Take 8am catamaran to Refugio Paine Grande. Drop off bags. Hike up to Valle Frances, then hike back to Refugio Paine Grande and spend the night.

Day 3 - Take catamaran back to Pehoe and then to Laguna Amarga (where we will take the 16:45 bus back to El Calafate via AlwaysGlaciers / Chalten Travel)

So a few questions ... is this schedule possible ? I assume Day 1 is possible, but what about Day 2 ? Can we make it to Pehoe from Las Torres in time for the 8am catamaran? If not can will we have time to hike Valle Frances if we end up having to take the 12pm catamaran to Paine Grande? Or will there be enough time ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think we will skip Glaciar Grey and focus on Las Torres and Valle Frances.

We were originally thinking on Day 2 we could also wake very early and hike from Refugio Las Torres to Los Cuernos, and then onto Valle Frances, and then to Refugio Paine Grande. But it looks like that will be impossible to do in 1 day from what I've read.

Is there a better way to see Torres del Paine in this amount of time that would make more sense than what I outlined above ? Thanks so much!

T P
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please with Torres Del Paine itinerary from El Calafate

Just returned from El Calafate. I can't answer most of your questions with regards to your specific itineary but we did the 1 day trip from El Calafate to Torres del Paine. You should also factor into your itineary the weather conditions as it may slow down your hike. The weather is very variable and on the day that we were in the park it was incredibly windy. As you probably know there was a vast fire about a month ago and in some part most of the vegetation has burned. There is a lack of protection from the wind in those areas, so keep in mind when hiking. Hope this was of some help.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please with Torres Del Paine itinerary from El Calafate

Thanks for the reply. This is indeed helpful. I think I've found a way to squeeze in one more day in Torres del Paine but the schedule is a bit hectic.

Would you recommend the 1-day tour ? Did you see a lot and was there time to hike at all on your own?

Also, which parts of the park were still burning? Should I avoid certain areas? Thanks,

Kris

SanDiego
Level Contributor
33 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please with Torres Del Paine itinerary from El Calafate

My friends did the 1 day tour with Always Glaciars from El Calafate, ending in Puerto Natales, they loved it. Lotsa time at the stops

Re your sked, am not sure the catamaran is running and French valley had fire damage. But lotsa people are in the park after the fire,the folks at Niko's II hostel where we stayed can probably opine about the catamaran and hiking past the Cuernos towards the burn areas.

Are you going to El Chalten? And in El Calafate, you MUST DO at least mini trekking on Glaciar Perito Moreno.

4. Re: Help please with Torres Del Paine itinerary from El Calafate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:38
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate