We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Chalten Perito Moreno from Punta Arenas sample itinerary

SanDiego
Level Contributor
44 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
El Chalten Perito Moreno from Punta Arenas sample itinerary

OK, this is not a question, but our sample sued. It might help people plan.

1, 2 Flew to Punta Arenas from Pucon/Temuco through Santiago. no other way to go south except to go north. We got a hostel in Santiago and spent the night in Bella Vista neighborhood, loved it . 1st night in Punta Arenas, wanted to go to Isla Magdelena, but the wind was too high (1st time all season). Spent another night in Punta Arenas, which was relaxing though the city is just OK, IMHO. (See my review of the Penguin boat ride...you into penguins do it, you short for time...skip it, again IMHO. Penguin tour is every day at 5pm, you can buy fix at the dock.

3 Bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales, 3 hour ride , departs from the various bus companies, not a central terminal.

4) Puerto Natales to El Calafate and then to El Chaiten. YES, you CAN do this in a LONG day. morning 5 hour bus to El Calafate, then an afternoon bus to El Chaiten. But the bus leaves PN in the morning, thus the extra day.

5, 6, 7 El Chaiten, stayed here loved it, did 2 great hikes. Lago Torres and Los Tres lagos. Don't skimp on your time here, weather is everything and sometimes it sucks. These hikes are 8 hour plus affairs, nearly 12 miles but worth it.

8 Bus to El Calafate, 3 hours, i think it only leaves in the morning

9 El Calafate after great hike on Perito Moreno glacier, yes Hielo y Adventura is the only company and folks seem to think Mini Trekking is enough. The age limit is not about endurance, but your ability to stomp into the ice and walk straight down the fall line in crampons. I found it hard and scary, but did it. (I am over 50). The climbing and time on ice, no problem. If you can run down a scree slope without problems, think about Big Ice. Guides were great. also if you don't think you can do Mini Trekking, but the fix anyway, they give you a 10 minute trial on the ice and even if it is too much for you, you can bail out The tour to that point is stupendous anyway.

10 My friends took the all day tour from El Calafate through Torres del Paine, ending in Puerto Natales (starts at 0530 , ends at 2000+) They loved it. I took the bus to Puerto Natales.

11 Bus (3 hours) to Punta Arenas

Some notes, the bus to and from El Chalten is a limited departure, and the buses from El Calafate are not unlimited. Buy a ticket early, though on our trip, Cootra added a second afternoon departure from El Calafate to Puerto Natales.

In short, more time is better...we had (mostly) good weather though heavy winds. Some times it rains so hard you wish you were inside and we were happy that we did NOT camp in the park near Fitzroy (the Los Tres Lagos hike), we did it in a day (about 12 miles from Hosteria Pilar) and we glad. The campground is sheltered, but the wind must have been nearly 80 mph that night.

Cheers! Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Perito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier
6,221 Reviews
Los Glaciares National Park, Argentina
Torres del Paine National Park
Torres del Paine...
Magallanes Region, Chile
El Chalten
El Chalten
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Cerro Frias
Horseback Riding Tours
TodoCalafate
Sightseeing Tours
Mundo Austral
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
1. Re: El Chalten Perito Moreno from Punta Arenas sample itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:07