We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

I'm getting really confused here and hope you can help me out; I've been looking for boat trips on Lago Argentino, from where you can see the Upsala glacier and the Perito Moreno ditto. Found out this seemed possible onboard an excursion called "All glaciers"/"Todo glaciares", which are provided by several tour operators leaving from El Calafate. (The boat also seems to stop at O'Nelli bay and Spegazzini glacier - perfect!) BUT, now, looking closer into it, it doesn't seem possible to reach either Upsala nor O'Nelli due to iceberg eruptions that blocks the passage?! (And even "worse", this seemes to have been the case for several years - read a post from back in 2008 and it was closed already back then?!)

SO, my Q: has anyone done this tour recently? What were you able to see? Who did you go with? Was it good?

Thanx in advance!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

Have you tried contacting 01Argentina, they are the tour company that provided us with a special tour when other tour companies kept turning us down. Search online for them, and give them a call, maybe they will help you out. Hope I was of some help.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

New User. Three posts, all on the same day all touting how good a particular travel agent is. Seems fishy.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

Hola Heleone!

If you are interested to see Upsala glacier, the thruth is that you can see it in the distance- either in the All Glaciers trip or in the boat trip on the way to Estancia Cristina.

Although there are icebergs around since 2008, as you said, still many times the boat was able to go in.

It has been a little more recently that is completely impossible to get into Bahia Onelli and see the glacier from closer.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a great trip!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

Thanks for the replies! Maybe we just go for the Perito Moreno tour, since it seems a bit unsure whether we'll be able to see Upsala or not... Would like to see P M from the seaside though, but I understand there are those one hour boat tours who does that, departing from the "bottom" of the wodden walkways, right?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

Yes Heleone,

You are right!

One hour boat trips available, they depart each hour, one departure on each side of the Glacier- no reservations in advance required.

Have a great trip!!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

Heleone,

Not sure when you are going but I did the All Glaciers boat trip on Oct. 3 and yes, you definitely see Upsala Glacier. You don't get as close to it as you do to Perito Moreno or Spegazzini, but it's quite impressive. This year our boat was able to get closer than last year when icebergs were really blocking the channel. The boats no longer stop at O'Nelli since the dock was destroyed by icebergs. We stopped to view condors and that was a first for me.

It's an awesome trip, so I hope you enjoy it!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

That's great news Hummingbird!!! I´m so pleased to hear that! We´re going in late December.

Thanks a lot for the information!

(I'll try to write a private message to you, so I can get the details on who you went with)

/Helena

8. Re: possible to see Upsala glacier from a boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:18