We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA reciprocity fee

usa
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
USA reciprocity fee

I know I have to pay the reciprocity fee if I fly into Buenos Aires from USA - what if I cross into Argentina by road by bus from Chile? Do they collect it at the border crossing there?

From what I understand from the Argentine embassy page, I need to pay it irrespective of where/how I enter Argentina from.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA reciprocity fee

No, they do not collect the reciprocity fee at the border.

From the embassy of Argentina's website:

<<You must make this payment online before arriving to Argentina, as it is the only way to comply with this requirement>>

embassyofargentina.us/embassyofargentina.us/…

Yes, you have to pay it irrespective of where / how you enter Argentina from.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 23:49
Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA reciprocity fee

You have to pre-pay to enter from anywhere now. The transport companies will not let you on buses, ferries or planes without seeing your payment print-out.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Hi USA!

We're Canadians from Nova Scotia, and we face much the same hassles with the Reciprocity tax you US passport holders do.

We crossed the border into Argentina overland four times in January. The first time, nobody in the border patrol looked. The other three times, they did. We had to furnish proof that we'd paid.

The border patrol can't seem to tell whether you've paid merely from looking in your passport or punching up your passport number in the computer. You'll need to take the initiative to supply actual paper proof. You get it from paying by credit card in advance over the internet, then printing the receipt they produce on your computer. After an unpleasant scene at one crossing, where we could not understand what the polite but insistent patrolman wanted, we learned to keep our receipt papers right in our passports so that the authorities would find them quickly.

If somehow you reach the border without having to show your receipts to an air crew or bus driver (as actually was the case with us, since we traveled in our own rental car without a chauffeur), I don't know whether there is any possibility you can pay on the spot. You aren't supposed to be able to, and we of course had our receipts so we did not have to find out the hard way. If you'll be flying into Buenos Aires anyway, you can be sure that the airline will insist on seeing receipts before they'll even let you board the plane. Airlines are charged huge fines for allowing passengers without proper documents to reach Argentina.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Save Reply
4. Re: USA reciprocity fee

we are travelling to bariloche for xmas week and would like to hike and bike. any recommended trails? destinations for day trips?

usa
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Hi all, Thanks for the information!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA reciprocity fee

hi again. regardless of how u get into argentina, u have to pay the reciprocity fee. thats the first thing they ask u when u get in. u have to pay it online and get the printout (before u leave the US) . whereas, if u get into chile overland , u do not have to pay the reciprocity fees/.

7. Re: USA reciprocity fee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:17