We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

Which El Calafate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
61 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

Dear All,

Due to the advanced bookings taking up all SUVS by now, I'm looking into finding a driver who can deliver me from Calafate to Estancia El Condor in November 2014. This is just initial research. Who offers this kind of service? So far the estancia hasn't responded to my queries about how to get to them. I have a standard car rented, but I don't trust them on gravel, 4WD roads in spring ( I live in the Rockies and I know better). Rental is horribly expensive. I could bus to El Chalten, but how do I get up and back down from El Condor? Very happy to entertain all ideas and options.

Thanks again to all, including my much experienced BsAs friend, for suggestions.

Merry Christmas,

Jhubbel

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

Hmmm, take it easy, be flexible with your time, wait and see how the weather is to plan while here. In November, there are relatively few tourists, there are lots of spots in tours, buses and lots of vehicles to rent. This is the situation now in Chalten and Calafate ( I am visitng now), last week in December. You only have to really worry about reservations for January and February.

For November, you can definitely be fexible.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

Just a comment about people expecting to get answers over the email. This is just not the Argentine way. Always do things over the phone. The estancias will be happy to arrange last minute transportation, and this will always be cheaper and more practical than renting vehicles.

I often listen to comments between hotel staff who joke about foreigners wanting to make reservations months in advance. They usually tell people, just phone a week before.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

Do you recommend a rental car company in El Calafate?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

I was there 3 years ago at same time and I found a taxi driver with a good car and just paid him around hundred bucks, sorry can't remember his name.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
61 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

Hey guys, thanks, but I did make reservations months in advance, which given the nature of some of the popularity of the resorts I've been speaking with was a very smart thing. So while some hotel staff may chortle, I rarely stay at hotels, so that doesn't even apply. That's kind why we have to do so much of our own work. Decided not to rent a car. Taking the bus and going to two very lovely estancias- where you MUST book and pay in advance. All due respect to canuck. I've learned the very, very, very hard way not to land in town at the last minute and hope. Especially when in Patagonia,going close to high season, and there is very limited space at the places I wanted to see. Kindly be thoughtful when making comments like these, it simply does not always apply to every situation everywhere. Depends on the country, the season, the availability of rooms. Lots of factors. Good news is that I have a Very Good Friend in BsAs who helps me in country over the phone, which solves that problem, and I've found that the estancias were also highly responsive to emails. So no, not ALL business is done over the phone.

The transportation offered by one estancia was hugely expensive- the cost equivalent of two nights' stay- so that's also not always the best alternative. In the end, it all comes down to due diligence, research,research, research. All of which has been done.

While I love and appreciate this Forum, I also love and appreciate information when offered as suggestions, rather than as absolute fact. Many of us have traveled all over the world but yet we still only have our experiences. If I'd taken all the above as fact I'd have been steered in some very incorrect directions. It's a wonderful reminder to me to temper my own comments on here and remember, I only know a very little, little bit, even if I do have a million miles under my belt. Advice is okay but it's still only advice.

6. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 11:14
7. Re: Driver with SUV from El Calafate to El Chalten November 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate