We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth adding El Chalten after TDP, El Calafate?

Dallas, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worth adding El Chalten after TDP, El Calafate?

Hi - I am planning a trip to TDP (the W circuit, 4 days) and a visit to El Calafate to see the Perito Moreno glacier. I am debating if it will become too hectic to also squeeze in a visit to El Chalten for a day hike to Fitzroy or perhaps I should extend time in TDP and rest/ recover in Puerto Natales.

My current itinerary is

2/20 - Arrive in Punta Arenas late night

2/21 - Do a morning penguin excursion to Isla Magdalena, head to Puerto Natales, spend night in Puerto Natales

2/22 - 2/26: Start in Puerto Natales head to TDP, do a the W cicuit

On 2/26 - TDP - El Calafate

2/27 - Excursion/ Ice climb Perito Moreno, evening head to El Chalten for the night

2/28 - Hike near El Chalten, spend night at El Chalten

1/1 - Short hike near El Chalten, head to El Calafate, stay night in El Clafate

1/2 - Head to Puerto Natales, spend night at Puerto Natales (or head to Punta Arenas and spend night there if feasible)

1/3 Flight back to Santiago from Punta Arenas

I hear conflicting views - some say that doing EL Chalten after TDP is only if one is seriously into hiking/ climbing since the scenary is much more dramatic in TDP, while others rave about doing both.

Any suggestions or advice?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth adding El Chalten after TDP, El Calafate?

If the weather is good, Absolutely yes, to do Lago Torres and Lago de los Tres trails, but not worth it if overcast as you cannot see anything.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth adding El Chalten after TDP, El Calafate?

Many travelers assume that El Chalten is similar to TdP. Apart from the mountain peaks, perhaps, they offer different things. You can do day trips from El Calafate and do half day hike say to Laguna Capri and take the bus back to El Calafate. At least you can now say been there done that.

3. Re: Worth adding El Chalten after TDP, El Calafate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate