We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Trips Anyone?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Trips Anyone?

Hi,

I would like to see Glaciers and picturesque little fjords but I'm having trouble finding information. I found the Australis 3 & 4 days cruise around Cape Horn, it is a little expensive and wonder if anyone has done any of the others (for comparison).

Also, can you point me to where I can find transportation from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia, Ushuaia to Bariloche? LAN and Argentina Air have long flights because they go back to Buenos Aires.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Trips Anyone?

Australis is a little expensive, but they are very good cruises with a lot of reputation.

Check flights, between Punta Arenas - Rio Gallegos with Lan Chile...connecting with Aerolineas to Ushuaia..

Flying Ushuaia Bariloche...there are Aerolineas connections thru El Calafate

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Trips Anyone?

Thanks Alec!

The price was a little shocking since I can take an 8-day cruise here for the same price. I am glad to hear that they have a good reputation... this is a once in a life time thing so might be worth the price.

I am going to check the other city connections. Feliz Navidad!

Zurich
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Trips Anyone?

Hi,

I am planning to do the 4 days cruise with Australis around Cape Hoorn starting in Punta Arenas. I am currently on a waiting list for the cruise starting 2. feb 2008 in Punta Arenas. I am looking for a travel partner to share the cabine on board. Costs would be around USD1440,-- p.person.

Please let me know if that would be an option for you.

Rgds

Herb

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Trips Anyone?

Hi Herb,

That would be good except Feb is too soon for me. My vacation time is in April (end of the season which is not good but it's the only time I can go because of my job) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Feb sounds like a perfect time.

When you return, please let us know what you thought!

Zurich
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Trips Anyone?

Hi,

I would like to do that cruise departing from punta arenas to ushuaia (4 days trip). In shared cabin the cruise would be USD 1440,-- . I am on a waiting list and still look for travel partner on that cruise to share. (Otherwise it would cost $2500). Departure from Punta Arenas would be Feb. 2 2008.

An alternative would be with Navimag departing from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales. http://www.navimag.com/en/canales/canales.asp

There is also a bus from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia or from Bariloche. With chaltentravel.com or andesmar (a 12 hours trip).

By plane there is no direct flight to Ushuaia (just from Buenos Aires).

So let me know if the cruise would be still of interest for you.

Rgds and happy travels

Herb

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
6. Re: Boat Trips Anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 03:20