We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in ushuaia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in ushuaia

im spending 1 full day in ushuaia in early february. in ushuaia itself is there any statues or things of interest to take photographs of? or must see buildings? since i love taking photos of anything,

also can i buy fridge magnets with terra del fuego written on it in ushuaia?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

Pretty sure there were Tierra magnets and patches in all the town shops as well as out at the actual national park.

The whole location is one giant photo op so you won't have difficulty filling an sd card or three.

There are plenty of old buildings along the main rd opposite the jetty and a couple of them are tiny museums. I do recall an monument to Eva Peron on the same road about a block west of the jetty.

Other photo ops would be on a channel cruise out to the seal island and lighthouse, or a helicopter tour (I went with heliushuaia) over the mountains and town and channel. Think I took 700 shots in 45 minutes myself.

The national park is extremely picturesque and worth a tour. You can get a bus to the end of the world train and back to town.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
765 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

Another lovely picture is walking to the heliport of Ushuaia- from there you will have great views from the city and Beagle Channel in front.

Also, in the evening if it is not windy, you get the reflection of the city on the bay...really nice to be seen.

One more! Going up to Martial glacier- from where you get amazing views (very close from town).

Enjoy and have fun!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Maumelle, Arkansas
Level Contributor
29 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

My wife and I loved the old cemetary there. It reflected the history, and was really unique. We spent an hour or so taking photos there. It's totally unlike US cemeteries.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

I missed the cemetary but am returning in early 2014. Where is the cemetary located so I can add that to my list ?

Maumelle, Arkansas
Level Contributor
29 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

Here's some info on the cemetary and a map:

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi…

I'd also highly recommend the Martial Glacier. It's a short cab ride from the city, there's beautiful views, for a modest fee you can take a ski lift up closer to the glacier and hike a bit along the lovely streams. You can even get your feet into the snow on a relatively warm day. It's really a "do not miss" item.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

There is a neat little artisan market, I believe it was called artisan's row, but you can't miss it, next to the Taxi station in town by the visitor's center. I got a really neat magnet there that said Tierra del Fuego with some artwork that was handmade if you are looking for a magnet that is something different. Each magnet was unique with different designs burned into wood.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

The old prison building is worth a visit. It houses several museums - prison museum, maritime museum, Antarctic museum etc. The town is in a beautiful setting so there are photo opportunities all around. Take a boat trip round the bay to the lighthouse to see the wildlife and great views of the mountains. There are some interesting wrecks in the bay. Then go up on the chair lift to the Martial Glacier to enjoy the panorama.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

Colin can you confirm whether the chair lift is now working over the summer months (as the OP asked about Feb). When I was there it was November and I was advised it isnt operational over summer - so when people ask about the glacier over summer I have generally suggested they find out whether the ski lift is open. But if you have been more recently than me and have updated info - that would be handy.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

The chair lift was open in February when I was there but that was 2 years ago. I don't know if there has been any change since then.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in ushuaia

Someone on the other thread just confirmed it was open last Dec for them so perhaps November was too early ? or its only open on certain days! Some signage would certainly help!!!