We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

Hi there,

I will be out on a very short trip in Argentina, 4 days in Pentagonia with my father,

I will be flying off Buenos aires on the 20th early in the morning and arriving in Ushuaia around 9 in the morning, we had the choice, make it 4 days in Ushuaia, or 4 days in El Calafate, or 2 days each, and since I doubt I will be returning there early (I live in Europe), we finally decided to make it split, and 2days/2days.

I am aware this is going to be very short, this is why I come here to seek for answers,

My first problem is getting from Ushuaia to El Calafate,

There was a flight we booked (Aerolinas) flying off on the 21th in the evening, that was great, we were going to have two full days in both. Yesterday they changed the flight, and it is now at 13 PM.

What would you advise : flying off Ushuaia on 22th at 13PM, having only 1 day 1/2 in El Calafate and 2 full days in Ushuaia or other-way? Or is there any other company I could hop in that would ease my time schedule? (We are flying back to BA 24th 11am)

My second is : if I consider to stay two 1/2 days in Ushuaia (20,21,22), is there any boat tour who would go to Cap Horn and back within 2 days, or any boat tour with an overnight stay on board?

What are the best options I could chose in order to see the most ? I know I should take the "end of the world train" but I am not way more informed..

Moreover, do you know if there is any charter helicopter company that would allow me to fly over El Calafate Glaciers, I heard about environnemental restrictions? Are there really no charter flying there?

Thank you for your time and reading, hope you could help me somehow..

Have a nice day!

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

I can't answer the time split between Ushuaia and el Calafate -- there's lots to do at both places. In Ushuaia, one of the problems of getting to Cape Horn is that Ush. is in Argentina and the Cape in Chile. So you'd need to get a boat over to Puerto Williams (Chile) and see what could be arranged from there -- that, and the weather make it very difficult/next to impossible to do in a very short time. The cruise line between Ushuaia and Cape Horn does a 3 night/4 night cruise, stopping at the Cape on both legs -- again, weather permitting, but too much time given your schedule. The narrow gauge train is "touristy" but still enjoyable. Take it into the forest, then the bus through other parts of the park. Also, an all-day catamaran in the Beagle Channel to Harberton and back. Private plane flight-seeing from the private airport near the municipal airport. And much more.

In el Calafate, there's an all-day boat trip on Lago Argentino to some of the glaciers, lunch at Villa Cristina, etc. Also try to get to the Perito Moreno glacier. And check LAN air for flights between Ushuaia and el Calafate. Maybe they have something that would work for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

Hola MasterZeux,

You will enjoy Patagonia a lot, I am sure!

If you want to stay overnight in a boat, probably the best option is to take a cruise at Lago Argentino, on Perito Moreno glacier.

There you will have first class service and you can spend the night in fron of the glacier.

In that case, you can leave 1 day for Ushuaia (if you are flying out at 13, you have to be at the airport at 12, you will leave the hotel around 11, so there is no really half day).

I think it is still very little time for Ushuaia, but, if you want to make it, I wouldn't recommend the train. I think a boat trip on the Beagle Channel + Pinguins would be a perfect day in Ushuaia.

Hope you enjoy!

Have fun!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina

Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

Hi there,

Thank you all folks for answering my questions,

I think we will probably then be taking a trip on the Beagle Channel in Ushuaia, and finally staying two days in Ushuaia ( 20,21, leaving Ushuaia 22 at 1PM )

That would make me one 1 1/2 days in El Calafate, could you advise me a company for a overnight boat trip Veronica? Would be awsome!

Any one have an idea about helicopter tours above Perito Moreno?

Again, thank you,

Luca

Tolhuin, Argentina
Level Contributor
395 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

MasterZeux:

Try with Tres Marias Excursiones, it's run by a local family with decades sailing the Beagle channel in their small vessels. I'm sure you'll love it!

Enjoy your trip!

Santiago

5. Re: Ushuaia/El Calafate - 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:18