We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Googling around Ushauia

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Googling around Ushauia

If I open Google Earth (which is installed on my PC), I see all the street names and if I click the "View in Google Maps" button at the top I see essentially the same thing. But when I click the "Maps" thumbnail at upper right, I see a far-less detailed map of the same area, showing the hospital but not the supermarket -- same for the rest of the territory, and elsewhere.

So from here it seems that the best results are to install Google Earth -- free download here:

www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

Then use it as desired and bop over to Google Maps whenever it's needed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,017 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Googling around Ushauia

Once I changed my settings from new google maps (which is truly awful) to classic google maps I could see all my street names again.

Have sent feedback to google maps re the transition from classic to new being pretty dreadful!!

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Googling around Ushauia

Sounds good! If you get the chance, let me know if you have any luck with Google Earth -- my stuff looks fine from here, but I have no clue what others are seeing. Something, I hope<g>.

Tolhuin, Argentina
Level Contributor
395 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Googling around Ushauia

Another problem I experienced with the new G Maps is that it was impossible to modify the midpoints as wished in a route from A to B. This sounds like a Google forum... :-)

Santiago

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Googling around Ushauia

>> This sounds like a Google forum... :-)

Of course it does. That's what it is, isn't it?<g>

I guess I should have a closer look at G. M., but I've been so busy with G. Earth that I've hardly looked at it. G. Earth is great for doing those animated flyovers, which just wouldn't be the same in G. Maps.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Googling around Ushauia

As long as we're in the Google Earth forum, I just went searching for Tolhuin -- the name was familiar but I'd never been there. Or so I thought. It's on Hwy. 3 on the eastern shore of what G. E. calls Lake Cami, right? I'd never heard that name before, but only Lago Fagnano. If that's right, turns out we drove right through it (without stopping) on our way up to Puerto San Julián a few years ago. Next time (if there is a next time), we'll slow down a bit<g>.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,017 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Googling around Ushauia

My guide told me its "the other name" for the lake and that they all have dual names.

Yes lots of probs trying to map anything on new google. I also noticed you can no longer put multiple destinations in - point A to point B to point C etc. on classic view you just click "more".

I'm sticking to classic view !!

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Googling around Ushauia

I just Google Earth'd Tolhuin and it showed every street in town (but no names). Then I went to Google Maps and everything disappeared into empty white space, with the sole exception of Route 3. So I re-tried the same test at Ushuaia. As I said earlier, the Carrefour supermarket clearly appears in G. E., but is replaced by blank space in G. M. I guess G. M. is fine for finding your way around the US of A, but for the deep south G. E. is the clear winner, at least for me that is.

Tolhuin, Argentina
Level Contributor
395 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Googling around Ushauia

JohnWoram

Yes, the lake has two names: Fagnano & Cami (may also be written as Kami or even Khami).

Tolhuin is very near the northeast coast, but not exactly over the lake. And Hosteria Kaiken is on Nat Road 3, just 5 km before Tolhuin (going from Ushuaia towards north) and right on the shore of the lake. Stunning landscape really. If there's a next time, slow down and don't miss it (us) ;-)

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Googling around Ushauia

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it turns out we did stop in Tolhuin, at the famous house of worship for all faiths (Panaderia de Unión). Here we gathered strength for the trip across Angostura Primera. This was several years ago, and for some reason I "remembered" the bakery was beyond Tolhuin. Also, I saw the Kaiken icon in Google Earth. Unfortunately, we won't be able to visit either place on the next trip. We arrive USH at 1805 on Dec 3 and board the ship the next day. More-or-less the same problem when we return to USH on Dec 11. But maybe next year we can plan an extra day or two.

Tolhuin, Argentina
Level Contributor
395 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Googling around Ushauia

Haha! The panadería La Union has been for years the unavoidable stop in the trip from Ushuaia to the north, specially during the years Kaiken was closed (2000-2004). Kneel before the holy medialuna! :-D

S

Edited: 26 August 2013, 21:49