We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

clacton essex
Level Contributor
171 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
currency

Will be in Ushuaia before and after boarding Antarctic cruise.Are U.S. dollars widely accepted or would I need to get some pesos?

australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

According to most recent post. In dollar exchange thread perfectlyperth who is currently on a ship was using US dollars to pay in Ushuaia. That was 1st February 2014 . Hopefully still the same when we are there in March.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

I am now in Ushuaia, most of the shops accept US Dollar. In several shops you can change also USD or EUR in Arg Pesos, at the moment for 10 USD you get 100 Arg. Pesos.

There is also a Cambio shop, but the exchange rate is worse.

At Hertz you can pay in USD.

Regards

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

I recently had no problem using US$ in shops and restaurants. Somewhat confusing because some places used an exchange rate of 10 pesos per US$ while some offered as little as 7 pesos per US$. Also confusing because some places will take US$ but give change in pesos.

The situation is pretty fluid at the moment.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,998 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

I am back in Ushuaia this week and so far every place I have been into - from 711 type shops to cafes, to souvineer shops to big restaurants etc - all are taking US$ and generally round the 10 or 11 rate unlike the banks. All have the rates on signs on their counters.

5. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 07:19