We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next week

new zealand
1 post
Save Topic
Next week

Hi,

My partner and I are travelling to Samoa next week. We are planning on spending the week in Savai'i. As yet we have not booked accomodation. Do we really need to book for the entire week now or can we book the first few nights and see what we want to do when we are over there?

We were thinking of spending 3 nights in a fale on the beach and then 3 nights in a nicer place. I don't know how the fale's work. There appears to be no walls, which I LOVE the idea of, however am a little concerned about travelling in the wet season and so waking up soaked in the middle of the night. Is this a likelihood or are there walls that can be put up?

The advice on fale's recently seems to be Tanu's. Is this still valid?

Cheers

Fiona

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Next week

Malo lava!

I don't think you will need to book ahead, as it's not particularly busy now. However, you never know when you will run into a family reunion group, or a church group, or a wedding group, so it's up to you :o) Most fale properties are very small with only about 10 fales.

Yes the fales have walls that roll up or down for privacy and for protection from the rain. Sometimes the fales leak a bit, but you should stay mainly dry - lol!

Tanu's on Savai'i is good, and recent reports have come back that the food is good, but these places can change very quickly depending on seasonable availability of different foods etc. Tanu's, Jane's, Regina's - they are all pretty similar, and are all on the same stretch of beach.

Where are you staying on 'Upolu?

Fa soifua

Tina

australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next week

Hi Fiona

We just got back from Samoa yesterday and stayed on both islands. It is very quiet over there at the moment - on Savaii we were the only guests at 2 different places. On our last night we stayed at Upolu, Le Vasa resort and were also the only ones there. All the resorts were saying they are alot quieter. Suited us fine. We really didn't have much rain there in the 2 weeks only a few downpours and over within 5 mins. We also didn't book and just turned up on Savaii. Had booked to stay at Sa Moana, it had fales available but sometimes they weree all taken.

Enjoy your holiday

3. Re: Next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Savai'i
Recent Conversations
More Savai'i Topics