We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

Hi all

Excruciating decision between Manase and Tanu on Savaii. Which place has better snorkelling from your experience (for relatively weak swimmers)

Thanks as always !!

Rebecca

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

Malo lava

Manase Beach is an area, and Tanu Beach Fales is at Manase Beach!

All the beach fales at Manase beach (Janes, Tailua, Tanu, Regina, Vacations etc) are basically next door to each other, so no matter where you stay, the snorkelling is the same. You have to swim out quite a way to the reef, but just make sure you go when the tide is coming in so there is no problem with being swept out.

Definitely check with the locals about the best place to snorkel, and always take your fins. NEVER go without fins in case there is a current, and always go with someone else.

Fa soifua

Tina

Mentioned in this post
Tanu Beach Fales
Tanu Beach Fales
191 Reviews
Savai'i, Samoa
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

Malo lava Rebecca

Ditto to everything that Tina has said. I also thought that when you are not that experienced that you might like to go out for an organised snorkel/dive with Dive Savaii who are situated across the road from Le Lagoto and Savaii Lagoon Resorts in the village of Fagamalo which is just up the road from the fale accommodations at Manase Beach.

Have a wonderful time.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Le Lagoto Resort & Spa
Le Lagoto Resort & Spa
437 Reviews
Savai'i, Samoa
Savaii Lagoon Resort
Savaii Lagoon Resort
576 Reviews
Savai'i, Samoa
sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

Thank you so much both of you! I've been reading too much and got confused. I meant Manase or Lano? Tried to repost but the correct post was deleted :-( is Lano easier than Manase?

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

Malo lava Rebecca

Lano is beautiful but a little more isolated in that there is only 1 accommodation provider there. Depends on what you're after - seclusion or a very social environment., Manase being the latter. The afvantage of Lano is that it is closer to Salelologa (where the ferry docks), so if you need to do any shopping or go to the markets (which are very different to the flea markets on Upolu) then it's not far away.

Hope this helps.

Manuis le aso

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

Malo lava!!

An easy mix-up when you are reading so much and trying to take it all in ... hehe! :o)

Lano is very very quiet, Manase is more popular but only because there are more fale properties there. I would recommend the snorkelling at Manase over Lano.

Lano beach is very beautiful tho!

Fa soifua

Tina

Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
582 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

my favourite beach is Lano, and the Lau-i-ula fales were great-good service and food,the bus service to the ferry and market was very easy and not so remote as manase, but yes, it was quiet,(which suited me) - why not do both?

Edited: 10 August 2011, 10:03
7. Re: Is snorkelling better in Manase or Tanu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Savai'i
Recent Conversations
More Savai'i Topics