We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savaii shopping

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Savaii shopping

Hi

Does Savaii have any good markets for shopping soveniers etc? Where & when open?

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savaii shopping

Malo Chantal

When you get off the ferry at Salelologa the markets are about 5 mins away in a taxi. They are open from 8.30am to 4pm Mon-Fri and 8.30 to around 2pm at the lates. They are great for souvenirs and traditional Samoan crafts, carvings and artwork. They also have a huge food market downstairs if having a look at some of the different fruit and veg interests you an a fresh, cool coconut with a straw in it is also really refreshing on a hot day. Heaps of bargains to find and you can always haggle a bit and get a better deal.

Whereabouts are you staying? Some accommodation properties have their own gift shops too but the prices won't be as low as the markets. If you're driving around Savaii you'll sometimes see some stalls with old ladies in them making tapa and other artwork, super cheap and great talking to older Samoans.

Deb

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savaii shopping

We are staying at Le Vasa for 2 nights then Lagoto for 5. Is it easy to sight see on Savaii by taxi? Don't think we will have time to get drivers licence there.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savaii shopping

Malo lava Chantal

You don't need to get a driver's licence, the rental car companies to that for you as soon as you book at car. All you have to do is email or fax them a copy of your current NZ licence or they may just need your licence #. It really is the best way to explore Savaii, you can go where and when you want and stay as long as you like without a driver waiting for you adding up the hours he's going to charge you for. All in all a car works out much cheaper. You can hire one from the Jet Over Hotel which is just near the wharf as is Lusia's Lagoon Chalets who often have cars as well. Also try Salafai Car Rentals, Savaii Car Rentals and PK Rental Cars.

A taxi can take you around 1/2 the island for around 200 tala + but it's a big island and you wouldn't see much except for the 'must sees" and you'd also know the time was ticking. Although there are no meters in taxis in Samoa after the first hour which is very cheap, you get charged by the hour which can work out to be very expensive. Depending on where you're staying?? will be the key as to whether there are a lot of taxis available.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savaii shopping

Are there more than one market on Savai'i Deb? WE found the one where the buses leave from, and after trying every other shop Saleloga for a sunhat for my partner we eventually found one there. But there were only a couple of stalls selling anything tourist orientated, though if I'd been in the market for hair gel it would have been the place to be!

I must admit I quite liked the lack of shops, but it took me a week and a 1/2 to find any postcards - and that was only back in Apia (and they were rubbish).

BTW, and no one told us this, if we had bought any of the trad weapons on sale we would not have been able to take them home as we were travelling carry on only (as I assume many do) - and they aren't allowed in the cabin - Virgin specifically asked us on checkin.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savaii shopping

The markets that you found near the wharf were the old ones that closed a couple of years ago although a few stallholders still remain.

There are large markets if you go left from where you leave the wharf, they sell much the same as the flea markets in Apia but usually a lot cheaper.

We've brought many weapons back, years ago you were allowed to have them as cabin baggage but now they must be declared and you need to pick them up at a security section of the International airport in your country. They need to be wrapped very securely then tied mutliple times with twine.

The Post Office sells some decent postcards as does a small shop near one of the chemists and the National Bank of Samoa on Beach Road, otherwise as you say, they are crap. Samoa still is a fledgling country as far as mainstream tourism goes.

Did you enjoy your holiday?

Manuia le aso

Deb

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savaii shopping

Definitely - I can't believe that only 4 hrs from Auckland you can actually be really warm in July! I like how the big resorts don't dominate entirely, like they do in Fiji, and the lack of advertising is like nowhere I've seen anywhere outside of maybe PNG!

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Savaii shopping

Along with wooden wepons, you are unable to take kava bowls of any size into NZ in your hand luggage, but you can take them in checked luggage. As long as they are not cracked and you declare them they get into NZ.

I went to the new market in Salalonga last month. It was really disappointing. hardly anything to buy, even the food stalls were limited. I was there last year and there was 3 times the amount of stall holders.

If you have the oppertunity call into the tapa making demonstation, they will demonstate how to make tapa and you can purchase tapa. It is between the wharf and the blow holes and there is a small sign outside the house.

From my experience, spend your time in Savaii relaxing and do your shopping in Apia

8. Re: Savaii shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Savai'i
More Savai'i Topics