We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Topic
Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

Q1. We've booked for 3 nights at the Savai'i Lagoon Resort and are wondering what eating options are available within easy walking distance? Would strongly prefer not to just eat at the resort all the time, regardless of how good they are.

Q2. Since we plan to spend our middle day with Dive Savai'i we will probably hire a car for only 1 day - are there any car hire places close by that can do the licence endorsement as well as hire a small car? (I gather some can do that. Savai'i is our first stop in Samoa.)

Edited: 21 May 2013, 11:38
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

Malo Lava

Right next door to Savaii Lagoon (which has an excellent menu that changes everyday) there is Le Lagoto where the food is quite good as well. There's also a pizza place nearby if you feel like takeaway. When you have the car you could also pop up to Manase Beach and try the food at any of the fale resorts - Tanu, Jan'es, Regina's and Vacations.

You'd be better off hiring the car at Jetover Hotel which is close to the wharf where the ferry docks, it's then a 40min drive to Savaii Lagoon, they'll arrange the licence for you for around 20 tala.

Where else are you going after Savaii?

Hope this helps

Deb

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

Thanks Deb, seems like it may be simpler to take the car for the full time we are there. The reason we intend to have the day with Dive Savai'i in the middle of our stay is the 24 hr no-fly rule after diving, but having a car for the full stay will increase our options.

We plan to fly to Savai'i directly off the international leg. After we fly back out of Savai'i we will stay 5 nights in Apia. We plan to hire a car there for the whole time as it looks like there are lots of options. Plans are fluid at present as our 'to do' list looks a lot longer than our time available (we'll probably throw it away once we get started anyway). Sightseeing, snorkelling & diving are our main interests. Maybe a short walk. Mix with some locals.

Hanging around a resort - not so much!!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

Glad you don't want to hang around a resort, seems a waste in another country when there's so much to see, do and learn.

Wandering around Fagamalo (the village where Savaii Lagoon is) you'll meet the locals and learn a bit about life fa'a Samoa (the Samoan way). The same applies to Apia, stop and have a beer or a coffee and watch the world go by, it makes for an interesting hour or so.

You can also snorkel in Apia as well, Palolo Deep Marine Reserve is near the international wharf.

The plane from Faleolo Airport lands at Maota which is not far from Salelologa where you can pick up a car at Jetover Hotel. When are you going? It might be wise to book the car if it's any time within the next month or so as it's smack bang in the middle of high tourist season.

Have a wonderful time.

Deb

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

Thanks again Deb - arriving 17 August.

I'll make some inquiries re a car reservation.

Auckland
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

It is best that you arrange for the hire car to meet you at Maota. Taxia are not available unless you have booked one to meet you at the airfield on Savaii.

6. Re: Eating options near Savai'i Lagoon Resort & Car hire options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Savai'i
Recent Conversations
More Savai'i Topics