We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Bay Of Plenty
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Have read a couple of mixed reviews on this.

What did you think of the beach at the resort-------any good for paddling/snorkelling AND do we need to walk around either way for it to get better?.

Cheers.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Talofa rhad :o)

My opinion is no, the beach isn't too flash at Aggie's Resort, however the pool and other facilities are fantastic :o) Especially if you have kids and if you like to do a lot of activities. The pool area is really lovely.

The beach is a bit rocky, and the water hasn't been that clear when I've been there, so I don't think the snorkelling will be great. If you want a lovely beach and great snorkelling, then it's well worth taking a tour to the south east coast for the day, and seeing some of the beautiful beaches down here :o)

I was last at the resort in July this year, and the beach definitely wasn't looking the best, but Deb may have been more recently, and may be able to comment further. Don't let that put you off the resort though, it has a lot to offer and that pool really is lovely.

Fa soifua

Tina

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

The beach is manmade and has been a problem since the resort opened.

The sand washes away to expose rocks and the water is very murky. It was awful when we were there and I have never read anyone saying that it's good for snorkelling.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

There are parts of the beach that are OK for swimming, if you head up towards the Manaia (spa) you'll find the swimming much better, just inside the protection of the groyne area. Tina's right though about the beaches like Lalomanu on the south east, they are stunnning and much more accessible. Bear in mind that Samoa is inside a large reef and there are a lot of lava rocks that really make it difficult walking into the water. Aquasport at the other end of resort towards the ferry at Mulifanua will probably best equipped to give you advise about snorkelling and yes they do hire out paddle boats and other paraphanlia for water sports adventures.

The pool is fantastic but never let your kids out of your sight. Piulu Caves and Palolo Deep Marine Reserve are also good for snorkelling.

You'll be able to book when you get there at Aquasport.

Fa for now

Deb

Bay Of Plenty
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Thanks for your replies everyone!.

A bit gutted now actually as we LOVE snorkelling and tend to do it everyday, BUT we need the resort for other things and the kids club! Tough choice aye to get everything right?.

Maybe we have been spoilt like last year at The Rarotongan resort--the beach and snorkelling was FANTASTIC-----But 2 years before we found snorkelling on Fiji's Coral Coast YUK.

Well we've made our choice now and this will be the last time ever we can use ANY kids club---So I guess we'll do a car rental and go somewhere nicer for snorkelling!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Sekia Rhad

I think you've probably come up the best solution and by hiring the car you'll be able to see more of this amazing country. Cars can be hired at the resort as well. Don't forget about Piulu Cave and Palolo, there are tours from Aggies to both.

Hope you have a wonderful time and let us know how you go when you return.

Fa soifuaDeb

Christchurch
Level Contributor
120 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Don't despair Rhad - there is GREAT snorkelling off the reef at Aggies - you just have to pay for the Aquasports guys to take you out there on a boat!

We did the reef trip twice, saw a turtle and masses of fish.

Depending on the tide, you can do a bit of snorkelling off the beach at Aggies, but it is a bit murky most of the time - and rocky so bring reef shoes. As you face the see, the beaches and water are best on your right, towards the Manaia spa, as another poster said.

Our 8 year old tried snorkelling for the first time on the reef trip - they have noodles so you don't even have to be a confident swimmer.

Have fun!

Bay Of Plenty
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

GEE thanks---I feel better now!.

Our 2 daughters (aged 10.5 & 12) did 8 days snorkelling last year in rarotonga off the beach and off a boat in a lagoon---so they are pretty Ok in the water!.

Will def take reef shoes and the wee boat trip sounds great!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

Have a Sekia (awesome) time rhad. I'm very envious as our trip has been delayed.

Please let us know how you go and tell Ruta, Pale and Gene (front desk) that I said Malo, make friends with them and they'll go out of their way to help.

Fa soifua

Deb

9. Re: ~~~~Aggie Greys Lagoon Resort~~~~Is the Beach good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Upolu
Recent Conversations