We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

samoa trip :)

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
samoa trip :)

Hi all

We are Holdaying in Samoa from 22nd july to 26th July! we are staying at litia sini in a enclosed Fale :)for most of the time then 2 nights Le Manumea :)

I have been reading all the good advice on here, such a wealth of info :) We are just sorting out activites now (abit late yea)

We want to do an island tour and maybe one of those boat cruises they look good.

The mrs wants to hire a car for the whole time but I think well just get one for a few days so we can do some exploring ourselves other wise its gets to pricey :) going to be intersting driving on the other side of the road and LHD! but i hear samoa is changing in august.

Want to do a bit of snorkeling too. is it no good around Litia Sini?. That snorkelling with turtles sounds good but that is Savalii somewhere right? could be a day trip idea, not sure where it is / how to get there and back will have to investgate all that.

Ive been looking up the other usual attractions shown on here to keen to do all that stuff too.

This paying to use beaches things whats the deal with that do we just have to rock up and start talking to people to find out who we hand our fee over too?

oh and do you know if Litina sini has power points in their fales / what sort of adapters do we need to get and is samoa 240v? we will need to recharge the camera afew times.

Sorry for all the questions lol this is our first time travelling overseas :) we are really looking foward to it.

i think ill have more questions to bug you guys with,

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: samoa trip :)

Malo lava, and welcome to the Samoa Forums! Feel free to ask plenty of questions, that's what we're here for ;o)

I *think* LItia has power points in the fales, but if not, they will be happy to charge your camera battery for you in the office. Most places are pretty good like that.

Yes, the snorkelling at Lalomanu Beach is spectacular! Plus it's not far to go offshore. Be sure to take your own snorkelling gear with you if you can, it's much nicer to have your own stuff.

Swimming with the turtles is at Satoalepai Village on Savai'i, and it's a bit too far for a day trip. However, you can take a very small boat trip to Namua Island (about 5 mins drive from Litia's) and they will take you out turtle spotting in the wild for about $30 Samoan tala per person. Make sure you get Litia to give them a call and ask about it and to get the best time to go. Of course you are never guaranteed to see turtles, but there are lots of them out there.

My husband has also seen turtles whilst snorkelling right in front of Litia's, in July / August so you might be lucky.

Re paying to use beaches, that's normal practice in Samoa. Shouldn't be more than about $5 Samoan tala per person, or maybe $20 Samoan tala per car. For many locals, this is their only income and it is all private land. If you think you're being charged too much, ask to speak to a chief or the village mayor.

Check out the lists below which may be of some help to you, but I am happy to answer further Qs you might have.

Fa soifua!

Tina

Samoa - a list of things to do and see :o)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19965-Samoa_A_…

Beach Fales - stretch your travel budget!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19831-Samoa_Be…

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: samoa trip :)

Thanks for all that tina :) turtle spotting sound like a good idea :) can we just enquire when we are there to go turtle spotting? might email them.

Yea dont mind paying locals to use beaches just wanted to check hows its usualy done.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: samoa trip :)

Malo fo'i

Just get someone from the office at Litia Sini to give Sala or Ieti a call - they are the proprietors at Namua Island beach fales and they'll tell you the best time to come out, and will arrange a time to meet you.

Litia, or whoever is in the office, will have their number :o)

Tinz :o)

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
840 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: samoa trip :)

hi

great choices in accomodation, 2 of my favourite. litia sini and manumea. both really different but fantastic.

re the power points, unless they have recently added them, they don't have power points to charge things. they have a fan and a light thought. and a view you will not want to leave!! so i always just take up my things to charge and put them in the office or behind the bar.

i love the snorkelling at lalomanu beach (the stretch of beach your on at litia's). as tina said it's best to take your own snorkle gear.

since the ocean trenches ( to sua) isn't far for lalomanu that might be a good site seeing activity, amazing, and if you feel like some really good food and nice atmoshphere pop into to sea breeze resort for lunch. it's only a few minutes further from the ocean trench.

i recommend hiring a car ( even for some of the time) in town you have the convinece of taxi's but not as much out at lalomanu.

have a fantastic time. in town i would recommd the sliding rocks and the markets.

have fun

sue

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: samoa trip :)

thanks for all that, sounds like a plan :)

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: samoa trip :)

Just another question about our trip. Our flight gets in a 8.30pm! we wanted to get a rental from the airport and drive to Litia sini Fales but it might be to late by the time we get through customs.

Litia sini offered to collect us then but that was pricey ($220ST), how much would a taxi be from airport to there? there should be taxis around at that time aye? they usualy are around when flights are arriving.

Any idea's how long it usually takes in customs, we wont be bringing any weird items like food with us.

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: samoa trip :)

LoL jsut found that old post "Transport prices from airport to Litia Sini"

We might just Taxi there and go back to apia next day and get the rental car.

Also what time does it get dark at this time of year?

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: samoa trip :)

Malo lava 2kiwiz

It gets dark around 6pm an the sun rises around 6.30-7am.

You actually get through customs a lot faster if you do have something to declare. If not, it'll take 1/2-1 hour depending on the amount of people on your flight. There's always plenty of taxis waiting for flights. Make sure you agree on a price before getting in the cab - should cost around $100-120 tala to Lalomanu.

Have a wonderful time

Fa soifua

Deb

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: samoa trip :)

The trip over to Namua Island is really easy.We saw turtles on the way over and swam all day out of the wind. The people are really friendly and its a little bit of paradise. There are turtles on the road to the airport that you can feed , in a creek area. Deb destiny can tell you where. We took some bread and got so carried away we reached the plane with only 15 minutes to spare.

10. Re: samoa trip :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:16