We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Tauranga
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Hi, my wife and i are heading to samoa at the end of august for 10 nights, (our intention is to have a relaxing time together with a spot of snorkelling and fishing, as well as checking out a bit of Samoa) we will stay the 1st and last nights at the airport lodge. we then have booked a fale at namua for 3 nights and litia sini for the next 3 nights, would you have any suggestions for the next few days?

i will be taking snorkelling gear and also a little fishing gear to fish off the beach/ rocks, i hear fishing around namua is quite good?

can i fish around lalomanu beach or is it a reserve? (i intend to catch and release).

also how might i keep my beer cold whilst at namua? i understand there is no electricity there.

thanks heaps for your help... Pete

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Malo lava!!! Welcome to the Samoa forums, where we are happy to answer all questions as best we can ... LOL!!

First off the bad news - unfortunately there will be no way to keep your beer cold at Namua, unless you take a chilly bin and get some ice from the mainland. Ice can sometimes be hard to come by. You will become Samoan in a very short time and learn to drink your beer warm, and enjoy it that way!!

You will love Namua if you want seclusion - it's just a lovely wee spot. Take the walk to the top of the island, but wear good walking shoes and beware of the cliffs - there are no safety rails and it's a looooong way to the bottom.

Before doing any fishing, please chat to the locals and find out where you can and can't go. A lot of Lalomanu is a reserve, but the locals will point you in the right direction, and they may even go with you, or take you out in a paopao (canoe) at night or at daybreak! Just ask around.

As for suggestions around accommodation, I have attached below a bit of list of beach fales that might help. I guess it depends if you are tired of fales by then - you might want something a bit more upmarket!

Fa soifua

Tina

Beach Fales - stretch your travel budget :o)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19831-Samoa_Be…

Tauranga
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

thanks tina for your quick reply, looks like i will have to cultivate a taste for warm beer :)

i will definitely get permission before i fish anywhere.

we are thinking that a few days with a rental car and basing ourselves in apia might be a good idea

thanks again...pete

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Malo lava Pete

You've got a great holiday planned already and if you're intending on basing yourself in Apia the following link will provide you with some choices in different budget ranges. If you can let me know how long you're staying and if you what sort of budget you're looking at I can be more specific.

If you want to stay in Apia but want to be away from the hustle and bustle I'd suggest Dave Parker's Eco Lodge (Cloud 9 Eco Lodge). It's and idyllic little lodge set on a hundred acres atop Mt Vaia with the most breathtaking views over Apia and out to the horizon and along the coast. It's abuzz with Samoan wildlife, breakfast and dinner are provided and the rooms are comfortable. Dave has a vast knowledge of his country and will happily give you a lift into Apia everyday and back if you didn't want to hire a car while you're in Apia - which might be a good idea if you are going shortly as driving is going to be changed to right hand drive as from 1t July -lookout!! It also has bungalows down near a crystal clear creek where you can swim as well. It's just a walk away from Papaseea Sliding Rocks which are great fun.

You musn't miss the markets in Apia, particularly if you enjoy grabbing a bargain and haggling for it. There's also snorkelling in Apia at Palolo Deep Marine Reserve - you'll pay up to $10 tala each entry fee. Take a little time to wander around Apia as you'll discover many little shops with hidden treasures and also some lovely little restaurants.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask.

Manuia le asohttp://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19953-Discovering_Samoa_Apia_and_the_North.html

Deb

Tauranga
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Hi Deb and Tina, thanks for your help, looking around on the net, we thought the Seabreeze might be a nice change from the fales for a couple of nights then i really like the sound of Dave Parkers for a night, would you suggest we book now? the flexibilty of being able to change our minds should something pop up whilst we are there is quite appealing :)

cheers... Pete

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Malo Pete

I'm sure you'll love both choices that you've made.

With Seabreeze I'd definitely book as it's still high season when you are going. The sooner you book the better.

With Dave's I think you should be OK winging it but an email just to check wouldn't go astray.

You're not likely to end up high and dry but your choices of accommodation may not be that desirable if you don't have something tentatively lined up.

Enjoy your planning.

Fa soifua

Tauranga
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Hi again, we must have left our bookings a bit too late and couldnt get in to either Seabreeze or Sa'moana which is a shame but have made reservations for the last few days at the hotel millenia :)

to get from litia sini to apia, do we need to organise transfers now or will it be ok to sus something out on the day?

we have property in savusavu fiji and when we visit we often buy some cigarettes to give as a sevusevu to the locals we meet, (pretty un-PC i know but everyone seems to smoke over there and its very appreciated never the less), would it be appropriate to do the same in samoa?

with regard to gaining permission to do a spot of fishing, would there be any particular person in the vilages to approach?

its a great service you offer and your help is really appreciated... Pete

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Malo lava Pete

I'm pretty sure you can't arrange transfers from Litia Sini to Apia, if someone is going in you may be able to get a lift. Alternatively there may be another guest who would be willing to share a taxi or you could get one of the colourful, loud local buses which may be a little difficult with luggage. I'd allow up to 100 tala for a taxi.

The local villagers would love cigarettes and the kids give you the biggest smile you have ever seen when you toss a few lollies their way, your generosity will be greatly appreciated. Any of the men in the village will guide you to fishing spots but to err on the side of safety I'd ask to speak to the Matai (chief) or will be more conscious about warning you of the dangers.

I'm sure you'll love Millenia, I've never heard any complaints about it.

Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful holiday.

Fa soifua

Deb

Tauranga
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Hi, i would like to thank you for your great advice, we just got back from our trip to samoa and my wife and i had a blast! we saw most of upolo and experienced nearly everything we wanted to, cant wait till we do the same on savaii.

cheers Pete

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Malo lava Pete

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your holiday and want to come back.

Where did you end up staying and did you get to Namua and acquire a taste for warm beer??? What about the fishing???

Fa soifua

Deb

Tauranga
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Namua, Litia Sini then.....?

Hi Deb, yes we did stay at Namua for 3 nights, we loved it there, very quiet, relaxing and beautiful albeit a little primative which was also part of the charm. we spent a further 3 nights at litia sini and 3 further nights at hotel millenium. our 1st and last nights were at the airport lodge. we really enjoyed each of the places we stayed and rate them highly. i will post some reviews in the upolo hotels section. the weather was very windy whilst we were down on the southeast coast so didnt do much fishing, had the surf not been so big, fishing from the rocks at namua would have been great. didnt try to fish at lalomanu or around apia as i was too busy doing nothing :)

pete