We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Upolu Samoa in January with a 10mo old baby

3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Upolu Samoa in January with a 10mo old baby

Hello all... I will be travelling to Samoa with my husband, who is Samoan and our 10 month old baby for the month of January 2012. We will be staying with my husbands family in Falelatai for a majority of the time, but I would like to stay at a resort as well. What is the best resort to stay at with a baby? Also what sort of things should I be aware of when travelling with a baby to Samoa? My husband is very easy going about it, as he is from there and doesn't see the big deal of it, but I am from Canada and know that I am in for a culture shock :) Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Upolu Samoa in January with a 10mo old baby

Malo lava

It's not that hard being a palagi in a Samoan world, particularly when you have a baby. Samoans love children so you'll never be short of baby sitters.

What's your budget range and how long do you want to stay at a resort? I would highly recommend the family run resort Le Uaina which is only 20-30 mins out of Apia. Many resorts in Samoa have a "no children under...." so in some ways you are limited. Le Uaina has fales on the beach with all the mod cons and the owners do everything to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. If you wanted to go to Savaii the children under laws are much more relaxed so check out Savaii Lagoon Resort and Le Lagoto.

If you've never been to a small island nation before then I think it may be a bit of a culture shock but if you embrace it and go with the flow you shouldn't have any problems. Samoa is a beautiful country with very happy (and funny) people and a very unique culture which in some ways is what Australia or Canada were like 50 years ago. It's a great place to relax if you learn to live on island time.

Hope this helps, any more questions please ask.

Manuia le aso

Deb

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
845 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Upolu Samoa in January with a 10mo old baby

Hi

are you staying on upolu or going to savaii?

on upolu

here are some suggestions ( and these are also from my sister and friend who have both travelled to samoa with babies)

if you want fales - litia sini - on the beach at lalomanu , new fales, breakfast and dinner included, no air con. shared facilities, nice for a few days.

samoana resort - nice resort with gorgeous grounds, lovely lava rock style pool, big communal area, no air con. rooms have ensuites.

manumea resort - just out of town - lovely big rooms with amazing ensuites, air con, pool.

?coconuts- if you want more upscale - i havent stayed here but the rooms look nice and they have a great big pool.

on savaii -

savaii lagoon - wonderful resort with kitchen facilities on a beautiful beach. no pool but next to lelagoto resort ( also nice and would recommend for kids)

i'm sure you will love and it and how lovely to have family to visit and stay with.

there are also aggies - either in town or the resort.

hope this helps

sue

3. Re: Travelling to Upolu Samoa in January with a 10mo old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2011, 03:05
4. Re: Travelling to Upolu Samoa in January with a 10mo old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 10:15