We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Buses

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Local Buses

Hello,

We are visiting Samoa for the first time in April and are trying to decide whether we should get a hire car for the full 9 days, or whether it is easy enough to take local bus and taxi. My main questions are:

1) Are the main tourist attraction/sites easy to access by local bus?

2) Can we take a bus from Saleapaga (Faofao Beach Fales) to Mulifanua to take the ferry across to Savai'i

3) Assuming 2) is possible, can we take a bus from one end of the South coast to the other?

Thanks in advance :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
348 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Buses

Hi Leanne,

You should read some of the reviews by amysmum. She has travelled around all of Savaii using the local bus. I found the easiest way is to find her name on one of the threads and just click on it it will show all her posts on the samoan page re:savaii.

1. Getting to attractions etc by bus- depends on the site you wanted to visit. Some of them are not conveniently located by the main road and having a car would make it easier to go whenever you want and not rely on a bus that might not travel more than 4 times during the day. If you do want to hire a car then I would recommend Samoana Rentals and Avis rentals on Upolu. If you wanted to wait til you get to Savaii for car hire then go with Jetz Rents through the Jetover Hotel.

2. Getting to the wharf by bus from Faofao- you would get a bus to Apia, then another bus (Pasi O Vaa) to the wharf. Its do-able and lots cheaper than a taxi. Don't waste your money on a taxi.

Hope that's helpful,

L.

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Buses

Car rental really depends on your budget .It is great to have a car but will cost you about another 100 tala a day.

The Saleapaga bus leaves from Faofao - I caught the first bus one morning, about 6.30 I think, ( ask at the Faofao office) still dark and you miss the free breakfast... all the workers and students commuting to Apia are on it , it gets quite crowded. It costs about 5 tala each and arrives in Apia about 8.30 ish at the terminal (sea side of the flea market) the Pasi o vaa is in the middle of the buses there and leaves quite often while the ferries are running. I managed to grab one straight away , it takes about an hour and costs less than 5 tala. I cant remember if i caught the 10 or 12 ferry. its a long hike, can be interesting, tiring if you dont get a seat.

You can also use the same bus ( the later departure) to get to and from To Sua but I would recommend asking Faofao for a local taxi drivers number in case the one coming back was delayed or full...If you use local taxi drivers for short stints along the south coast its not too expensive- ask the price before getting in every time.

About 20- 40 tala for a 5-10 km drive.

The buses do a loop - for example Tafitoala/ Siumu area to Apia and back or Salepaga to Apia and back , a couple of times a day each . No one bus goes all along the coast and the last one leaves the coast about 1 or 2 takes about 2 hours to Apia , 2 hours back and arrives home before sunset.

The local people along the coast know their own bus timetable (but no one elses) its important to ask a local that uses the bus to get the right info

People will often guess if they dont know the answer. So ask someone that uses that bus

Sometimes its good to hire a car the first day or two and see a lot of sights , then take the bus to places you want to go.

Each island is only about 200 kms around so you can cover a lot with one day car hire, then go back to places you like and stay.

3. Re: Local Buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:17