We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Whangaparaoa, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

I have been engaged for a couple of years now and finally we are at the point in our savings that we can start planning the wedding. My parents just returned back to NZ from Samoa and raved about it so much that we are wanting to have our wedding there.

I have looked into resort wedding packages but feel they are quite expensive once you take into account the accommodation.

In my research, I stumbled upon a photo of Lemafa Pass. It is breathtaking.

I am wondering if there are any flat areas around/near the pass that could be transformed into a small wedding ceremony? Any villages in the area that might let us hold our ceremony there?

And then finally, if there are palaces that I can hire tables, chairs and marquees from.

Sorry for the long post.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Malo lava Tammy

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, Samoa is a truly magical place to start your married life.

I can't really think of anywhere along Le Mafa that would be suitable to hold a wedding. You'd be best of contacting the Samoa Tourism Authority - http://www.samoa.travel/about/a8/contact-us - try the NZ contact first as you may get a quicker response. They should be able to advise you on the feasibility on holding a wedding there.

If not, have a look at a beach fale wedding. They already have tables, chairs etc and are in stunning locations. Check out Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge (vaimoana.ws) on Savaii and Taufua Beach Fales or Litia Sini Beach Resort at beautiful Lalomanu Beach on Upolu.

Please let me know how you go, if you don't like the beach idea then a waterfall setting might be better??

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Congratulations Tammy,

I'd have to agree with Deb in saying there really isnt enough roadside space on the Le Mafa pass to hold a wedding, the pass is also a major road so it would be like having your wedding on a highway, but with really nice scenery.

If its the scenery you're after I'd suggest a waterfall setting. Sopoaga Waterfall would be a great place, the family who maintain the lookout have a really nice garden, you could ask them to keep the space free for you and your guests on your chosen date and then you'd have a really nice private ceremony. If you check out the Samoan Tourism Authority website, they might have a contact number for the falls.There are plenty of places in Apia who could do catering and deliver it for you.

There are plenty of really nice spots opening up all over the coastline now as well which could be cheaper than some of the established places like Sinalei or even the beach fales in Lalomanu.Even the old Virgin Cove would be a really nice spot for a beach wedding - I can't imagine they would charge too much - I'd also hire out for cateringand wouldnt recommend it for accommodation but it is a really private cove and your wedding pictures would be stunning.

Best of luck making your choices,

L.

Whangaparaoa, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Hi Deb and Elle,

Wow, thank you for responses.

Yes I think you are right- just so amazed by the mountains. Maybe I will just drive up there for some pics ;)

Besides, I need to think about my grandparents and toilet proximities!

Savaii is beeeaaautiful but I'm hesitant to have the wedding there as I think it is a bit cheeky asking my guests to travel even further... Just want to keep it as simple and stressfree as possible for them. Do you think it would be possible to hire a bus to pick people up from their hotels? I think it would be a great experience!

(ok, maybe I'm not the most realistic wedding planner! But sure is fun imagining!)

Va-I-Moana looks so tranquil. Might be a good place for our honeymoon.

Will definitely make contact with Tuafua and Litia Sini, thank you.

The main reason I liked the idea of a garden type setting was that there were more opportunity for areas of shade. I know a lot of my family are not used to travelling so thought a bit of shade coverage during the ceremony would make it more pleasant for some people.

Thank you for the tips re: the waterfall and virgin cove, too. I will make some calls/send emails and work out the best option.

If it's not too cheeky...Would you know of any bands that might be willing to play at a wedding? I saw in an earlier post that the Millenia Hotel have a band but not sure what type?

Sorry, now I am hijacking my own post!

Thank you for your help.

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Hi,

I've just come from a stay at the Millenia and they don't have bands playing there any more, which is a shame because it was a big draw card for them.

However, The Orator had a one woman band playing and also this really awesome father and daughter duo. I don't recall their names but they were really good and I'm sure if you just sent an email to the Orator they would be able to give you back some info re: how to book them.

Also, I think you'd be surprised once you get to Savaii your guests will forgive you for making them travel an extra hour across the ocean. It is just so tranquil and so picturesque it makes you not want to leave. It's also cheaper for accom and for wedding services.

To help you make up your mind maybe have a look at wedding pics taken by either - Leryus Photography or The Samoan Photographer.... they've done heaps of weddings at a range of locations from Savaii to the mainland Upolu. I know their job is to make the thing look amazing but it gives you a sense of what's possible in terms of venue as well. I know Leryus is on facebook and The Samoan Photographer has their own website.

Also, if its a small wedding then you might want to consider The Plantation House in Alafua as an alternate garden setting. They also have a facebook page and I remember seeing something a bout a small garden wedding happening there.

Good luck,

L

Whangaparaoa, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Thank you for that, I have sent an email to Orator Hotel :)

I assumed Savaii would be more expensive because of logistics but will look into it.

Thank goodness for Facebook! So easy to find and keep track of people and companies. I will stalk their photos- think they might end up being our photographers for the day too by the looks of it!

Plantation house. Perfect. Thank you for telling me about them!

It sounds like everyone is very easy going and quite open minded to having a wedding- even in places that don't advertise it!

Thank you again

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

Samoa doesn't work on advertising Tammy, makes it harder to find what you want but when you do it's very, very special, something you won't experience anywhere else.

Please let us know how you go.

Deb

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?

For Live music, contact - IBIC Soul - a kiwi duo (featuring the one woman band at The Orator Hotel mentioned in earlier post) who mainly perform old school, rnb, soul, funk, pop, easy listening, jazz.

ibicsoul@gmail.com

Edited: 21 July 2015, 14:29
Reply to: Lemafa Pass, Samoa For a Wedding Ceremony?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted