We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Samoa

Which Apia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Samoa

Hi everyone,

I've been trawling through the forums and have seen many conflicting reports on snorkelling in Samoa. I love snorkelling and this is one of the main reasons why I want to visit the Pacific!

Is snorkelling easily accessible or do you need to travel around to find the good places? Lots of people have also stated that they went on 'tours', I don't really fancy paying to swim in the sea, are there lots of places you can go for free?

We will most likely be staying at Aggie's Lagoon & Spa. Is there anywhere close by?

Thanks!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Samoa

Malo lava SmudgeNZ

There really is nowhere that you can either swim or snorkel for 'free' in Samoa. The fee you pay to use a beach is sometimes the only source of income many villagers have, the beaches are actually on their cultural land so you pay to swim on them. This can be as little as 10 tala up to 25 tala depending on the beach you are on.

The guys at Aqua Samoa Watersports, which is based at Aggies, will point you in the right direction without necessarily trying to sell you anything. There are many beaches in Samoa where the snorkelling is great, both on Upolu and Savaii. Lalomanu is probably one of the best and you can either do a tour there (which includes a lenghty stop for snorkelling and lunch) or hire a car and drive there (around 100 tala a day), and then pay 20 tala each to park there and swim/dive on the beach, but in the long run works out cheaper than a tour if you're going to use the cars over a couple of days. There is really nowhere close by to Aggies that I would call great for snorkelling, except the reef and you would have to get someone from Aqua Samoa to take you out or hire a boat. You can email them on info@aquasamoa-watersports.com or phone +68545662.

I think your best bet is to hire a car and then get yourself around to the south coast, Lalomanu, the coves around Matereva and in the east along the Aleipata coast. There is also great snorkelling at Palolo Deep Marine Reserve in Apia.

You could also consider staying at one of the resorts on the south coast - Sinalei, Coconuts or Virgin Cove and then you would be much closer to the best snorkelling spots.

If you find a deserted beach with no-one around, go for it, but if you are at a beach in a village you should always ask permission to use the beach and that's where the fee comes in.

I hope this helps. If you decide to hire a car just let me know and I'll give you some contacts. Any further questions please ask.

Fa soifua

Deb

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Samoa

Malo lava

Some of the best snorkelling is down on the south east coast at Lalomanu Beach, which is about a 1.5 hour drive from Aggie's at Mulifanua. If you're not staying at Lalomanu Beach in one of the fale properties, yes you will likely have to pay around $5 tala per person to use the beach and toilet facilities. This is pretty standard in Samoa, as all beachfront land is privately owned. Also, never snorkel anywhere before talking to the landowners, as they will be able to point out rips or any other potential hazards.

There is also a great little bar and restaurant at Taufua Beach Fales at Lalomanu so it makes for a great day trip.

About 5 mins drive and a 10 min boat ride away from Lalomanu is Namua Island. It's very quaint / primitive, but there are lots of turtles and good snorkelling. In both those areas you don't need to go out too far to see fish and coral life. You can do a day trip to Namua for around $20 tala each. Take drinks and food as there is no shop on the island. Indeed, there is no electricity either!!

For snorkelling close to Aggie's, debdestiny might be best to advise on that. I think though, for good snorkelling in that area you will need to take a boat trip.

Fa soifua!

Tina

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Samoa

Gosh Deb ... you are I are posting at exactly the same times today! How funny is that!! LOL!

Fa soifua, ma manuia le aso uo!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in Samoa

Doesn't happen all that often Tina, great minds think alike eh?

Manuia le aso uo

Deb

christchurch
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in Samoa

I think the best snorkelling in samoa that is accessable without a boat is at Palolo Deep Marine Reserve in Apia.

Alot of people who snorkle there miss most of what is to see . you have to swim a long way to where it is very interesting & where larger fish good large & colourful corals black tip Reef sharks are comon they are very cool to swim near & safe.

Look on google earth before you go to samoa to see where the deep section ( darker blue colour) is out closer to the main reef this will give you a better idea of where to head , as the owbers there do not realy discribe well . find the drop off & keep swimming around the edgetowards main reef.

Even though the currents are not to bad BE very carfull !! as you are along way from the shore and most likley will not be seen from the land if you have difficultys. ENJOY

6. Re: Snorkelling in Samoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Apia
Recent Conversations