We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving on Upolo vs Savaii, Samoa

auckland
Level Contributor
52 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Diving on Upolo vs Savaii, Samoa

hi there,

I am trying to find information about diving in Samoa, so far we are going to do two dives on Savaii at Dive Savaii, we are interested in diving on Upolo as well, either at aggie greys or sinalei reef resort, just wondering if anyone has dived at either (especailly after the tsunami) and how they found it, or whether it is worth just doing all of our dives at Savaii? Any advise big or small would be good.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving on Upolo vs Savaii, Samoa

malo,

not sure about dives on upolu, last time we were there (march) we wet up with a guy who previously had a boat and took out people for dives at the resorts coconuts and sinalei, but his boat was distroyed in the tsunami.

but i think there may be someone based at aggies greys resort ??? and that side didnt have much damaged.

I can highly recommed dive savaii, fabian is wonderful, you can also do snorkle tours.

enjoy

sue

Edited: 17 January 2011, 08:26
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving on Upolo vs Savaii, Samoa

Malo lava

I'm sure you'll have a great time on Savaii with Fabian and Flavia from Dive Savaii. They really do great dive/snorkel tours and fortunately the reef was not damaged by the tsunami. The reef on Upolu was badly damaged, some thought that it wouldn't ever regenerate but it has started to come alive again which is amazing after what the coral went through. If you're staying at Aggie's Resort then AquaSamoa Watersports is based there and they do tours of all sorts of watersports from there and also from other parts of the island, they are also normally willing to give advice on diving throughout Upolu. So try getting in touch with them, also Manoa Tours do dive trips but if you hire a car you'll be able to do it all at your own pace and stop where you want for a dive or snorkel, just keep in mind that whatever beach, in any village, where you stop you will more than likely have to pay a small fee to use the beach - most of it is cultural land.

Let us know how you go and if you need any further info.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving on Upolo vs Savaii, Samoa

Only Dive Samoa from Aggies Resort is running trips on Upolu now - all the south coast businesses (including Sinalei) lost their boats in the tsunami. I've been out with them a few times since the tsunami and the diving is still good - mostly south of Manono Island.

4. Re: Diving on Upolo vs Savaii, Samoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2012, 05:30
Get answers to your questions about Apia