We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Can anyone offer some credible advice regarding the following.

The Australian Government website smart traveler advises visitors to Samoa to exercise caution after dark and in remote areas and beaches as there has recently been violent assaults and robberies including sexual assaults against foreigners.

I am interested in visiting Savaii with my wife, teenage son and daughter and trecking through rain forest ,visiting remote beaches etc.

After reading Government advisory it has me worried especially about my wife and daughter.

I know stuff like this happens in Sydney where I live but I am never worried about remote places and being out after dark.

Am I being paranoid or should I be concerned?

Or does this stuff only happen in Apia and not on the outer islands?

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

we have been to samoa 6 times and my sister lived there for a year, and always felt safe , we have never had any concerns of feeling unsafe.

i would be sensible anywhere you are , anywhere in the world,

dont be paranoid and let this bother you, samoa is a very safe and family orientated country,

enjoy your time in paradise!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

If you believed everything on SmartTraveler (or any of the govt websites) you'd never leave home. I wouldn't suggest you swim after dark in any country - but that's more to do with the risk fo drowning. ..

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Malo lava

That warning has been on Smart Traveller for as long as I can remember. I have been visiting Samoa for many years and usually live in Apia for up to 6 months each year and I have yet to hear of any instances of violence of any sort on tourists.

It does happen but it is domestic, which is not good either and for the past couple of years there have been help and advisory centres set up to deal with the problem and a huge TV and outdoor advertising campaign against it The problem is mainly caused by alcohol which is insanely cheap.

The vast majority of Samoans are warm, friendly, funny and welcoming people who are ashamed of such violence as a blight on their culture.

As the others have said you're best not to go swimming or bush walking anywhere at night in any country. Sydney is much scarier to me and I lived there most of my life until moving to this other missing piece of paradise called Woolgoolga (up near Coffs).

So, don't be put off by the advice on Smart Traveller, it's a standard warning the Govt puts on many places, including Pacific Islands as domestic violence is also seen in Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia and many more.

Go, enjoy, have fun but be sensible.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Your right!Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Thanks again Deb.

What was I thinking when I looked at Smart Traveller,Its not the first time I have been misled by the Australian Gov.(lol)

I quite like the sound of a cheap beer as well!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

I honestly don't know why they try and scare you out of going to places like Samoa when things like violence are isolated and domestic.

We were there in 2009 when the tsunami happened and they didn't tell us to go home BUT because we had registered they did ring to find out if were we OK. In my mind the tsunami and earthquake presented a much more life threatening situation than any violence that may occur.

Go figure, they didn't give me any warnings when I went to Egypt and Morocco!!!

Manuia le po (have a nice evening

Deb

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

The local beer is Vailima and I know quite a few people that go to Samoa for a "Vailima holiday" because it is so cheap.

You can get a long neck for around the equivalent of $AU2.00 although that's probably risen over the past few years, I don't drink beer so I really don't know the correct current cost. Spirits are also quite cheap, especially Samoan vodka but it smells like petrol to me!!!

Deb

9. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:40
Get answers to your questions about Apia