We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Hi,

Samoa travel inforation and forums I have read varies in where to validate a foriegin license. Some say 'Ministry of Works, Transport & Infrastructure: Savalalo, Apia' and some ''Transport Control Board: Vaitele Industrial Zone' . Jasons also suggests that you can do it at the Polynesian Explorer Office at Faleolo airport.

Can anyone give me the current information? If you do have to go to Vaitele, how long would it take to walk there from Apia CBD? Thanks .

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

I've just found a couple of valid sites, including Air NZ, who say you can do it at EITHER Ministry of Works Transport & Infrastructure, or, the Transport Control Board. BUT there is alot of contradictory information as to where each of these offices are located. So even MORE confused, now. Tried the ministry webpage but no mention.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

do you mean your drivers licence,

if you are hiring a car, the car hire place will just do that for you, they normally charge a small fee,

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Malo lava

As Sue says most rental companies will arrange a temporary Samoan drivers licence when you book the car, it can all be done while you wait for a fee.

If you want to do it yourself them you have to go to the Lands and Transport Authority at Vaitele which is not realy within walking distance from Apia. It'll probably cost around 15 tala in a cab.

These are the only alternatives.

Hope this helps

Manuia le po

Deb

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Thanks for that, Folks.

Being on a tight budget, I preferred for us to do this ourselves, as 3 different sources said it could be done in town (e.g. at "Transport Control Board office Savalalo" & "Ministry of Works Transport & Infrastructure in Apia, across the road from the flea market ". Yet other sources reversed this same information. Might still wait before organising car hire to do it for $25.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

The only place that you can do it off your own bat is at the Lands and Transport Authority at Vaitele unless they've recently opened an office at Savalolo.

A temporary licence isaround 15 tala for a month so if you get a car rental company to do it they'll probably charge a fee of 10 tala so it is woth getting it done through them rather than wandering around Apia looking for the office. It would also only add up to what you originally thought the price was and so much more convenient.

There has never been an office at Savalolo or one near the flea markets. You would have to go to Vaitele which will take around 15min in a cab. This could have change of course but I doubt very much that they have opened up 2 more offices in town.

What sources are you getting this info from?

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Go with the rental company. You will save time and money. Taxi from Apia to Vaitele=$15WST + Licence validation=$15+ Taxi back to get the rental car=$15WST total= $45WST plus a half day watsed travelling to get validated and waiting in line at the LTA.

AARent-a-car charges you $15 for validation so do Samoana and Go-Rentals. The only time we've had to validate at a location other than with the place we hired from was the one time we asked Insel Fehrmann Hotel to organise a rental car for us. They made us go all the way to Vaivase Uta to the Discovery Rentals Head Office to validate our licence. Apparently you used to be able to do it at the Police Stn in town but that was centuries ago.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Paying the extra does sound like a good idea. So much information is out of date, it seems , even if its a professional page updated recently. Thank ot for Travel forums :-}. Cheers

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
493 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

I also read you could validate the licence at LTA in savalolo for 12 wst, but 2 weeks ago I wandered the building and after checking 3 different departments there was told it can only be done at Vaitele now.

I had mine validated at the rental car office where I picked up my car they cahrged 20 wst. Two other rental car companies I checked charged the same price.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Malo lava

Just to reiterate, there are only 2 ways to do it - go to the Lands and Transort Authority at Vaitele or more conveniently do it through the rental cmpany who charge different fees, 20 tala being the most expensive.

There are no other alternatives, years ago the police did it but not for a long time now.

Fa soifua

Deb

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Different information on where to validate foriegn license

Hi,

I went into budget in town near Westpac, gave them 20tala and they gave me a licence 2 minutes later. easy and quick. would recommend this over trying to go to vaitale

Get answers to your questions about Apia