We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with daughter

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with daughter

I'm travelling to Samoa in August with my 13 year old daughter, staying in Apia at hotel Elisa for 7 days. Really budget as I prefer to spend on sightseeing not sleeping. Now I've booked I'm really feeling quite anxious and scared, my first time out of Australia for 15 years and travelling as a single mum. I don't want to just sit around Apia I would like to see and experience as much as possible.

I would like to visit Savaii, which is the easiest way to do this please? Any other recommendations on travels would be much lay appreciated.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with daughter

hi tropical lass

what a wonderful safe choice for your first holiday out of austraila in 15 yrs.

you can do day trips, and that way you would get to meet other travellers, or you could hire a car for a few days if you felt confident to drive around ( its really easy to drive around samoa) or a taxi for the day. some day trips will offer trips to savaii. so have a look around

one tour place i know of ( but have never been on tours, so sorry i cant comment or recommend that for you,) is Samoa Scenic Tours & Inbound Services , or once you are in samoa, i am sure the hotel could arrange a tour guide for you and your daughter.

some places that my teenagers loved, are

the sliding rocks ( just out of town)

lalomanu beach

the ocean trench

hope this helps

sue

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with daughter

Thanks for replying, I've thought about a car but I'm dead scared of getting lost. Yes the sliding rocks sound awesome, will have to read up about the ocean trench

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with daughter

Malo lava

Car is by far the best & cheapest way to get around Samoa & because there's really only 1 road around both islands it's easy to find your way around. On your 1st day go to the Visitor's Tourism fale in downtown Apia & they have many brochures on tours available. Hotel Elisa reception should be able to help & book tours you wish to take. Maps are also readily available. Aside from Samoa Scenic you could also try Polynesian Xplorer, Manoa Tours & Janes Tours & Travel.

If you do get lost there's always a friendly villager to point you in the right direction, relax, learn to live on Samoa time & you will both have an amazing time. I think though because you only have 7 days a day trip to Savaii may cut a chunk out of your time, maybe when you come back for longer you can spend a few days there.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Samoa Scenic
Samoa Scenic
37 Reviews
Upolu, Samoa
Polynesian Xplorer
Polynesian Xplorer
48 Reviews
Upolu, Samoa
Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
556 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with daughter

Hi when you say on a budget does that mean you are in the budget rooms at Elisa?

Samoa is my budget destination of choice. I have travelled there when my daughter was 16 ( and will be back with her this year -now aged 22)

The first year I did as you are and booked a place in Apia for my whole trip and just explored from there.

Savaii is too difficult to really enjoy on a day trip- my second trip I spent the whole 2 weeks in Savaii.

If you are a on a real budget you may want to get the hang of the buses. A little daunting but once you get the hang of it you can have some great days out very cheaply.

The main thing to be aware of is that buses start and finish from their village. normally starting about daylight and finishing before dusk,so its best to start your day early and finish early if using buses

Some buses leave from the flea market and some from the food market- both walking distance from Elisas, just ask.

Our first trip was from the market to lalomanu and around back to Apia- just sightseeing.

The next trip was to Piulu caves and back ( I think we caught the Falefa bus) there is a changing room there to go swimming.

And another trip was to Lupes bar and grill for a wonderful lunch of fish and chips- this is beside Maninoa and coconuts resort.- great beach, take your togs.

All of these bus trips cost about 5-10 tala per person - on top of that entrance fees of about 5 or 10 tala or lunch of 15 tala.

So a few very cheap interesting days out- and don't forget you can get a 5 tala taxi to Palolo deep and go snorkelling, also a visit to the flea market and lunch at the fish market (right behind the flea market)

This is a few minutes walk from Elisas

The hardest part is talking the teenager into getting up early enough. but an afternoon relaxing by the pool is a good incentive.

If your budget is not as low as mine hiring a taxi is a great way to see some sights, they will do a daily rate, I think it was 120/140 tala, but talk to a few about what they have to offer.

but don't worry, the sights and markets of Apia will keep you entertained for a few days anyway, a week will go fast.

Hope you enjoy it and return to Savaii with your daughter another time.

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Maninoa
Maninoa
Upolu, Samoa
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with daughter

Thanks for the great information Deb

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with daughter

Hi amysmum, budget all round, thanks for the great information, not to sure if the budget will allow for taxis will know closer to the time. Sounds like some great places over there, think I'm going to be needing a holiday when I get back home

Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
556 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with daughter

Hi, I am a budget traveller - couldn't afford all the holidays otherwise. A few things I found useful.

Elisas budget is like an old boarding house. I take flip flops to wear in the shower. The kitchen consists of a fridge, a sink and a microwave. Often no utensils or plates etc.I take some camping bowls and spoons, also an empty plastic container if I have room (great for storing fruit salad etc in the fridge - a bottle opener for beer and a sharp knife for fruit and fish are handy if you have checked luggage or you can buy them at the supermarket .

There's no breakfast for the budget rooms so I take muesli which I add to my fresh fruit I buy from the market.

I also buy palusami from the market, - a nice fresh slice of tuna (10tala) from the fish market with some palusami (coconut cream and taro) over top, microwaved is a great meal.

The fish market and next door at Amanakis have great cheap fish n chips for lunch.

Take plenty of repellent, its expensive there and there are mozzies by the pool at Elisas.

Relax have fun and definitely try the buses, even if you just do a round trip on one (check with the driver he will be coming back to the market before you leave)

Its a great budget destination,(we allow about $50 per day per person including accommodation with a pool, food, buses and the odd beer and taxi ride. Hope you both enjoy it

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with daughter

Hi amysmum. Thanks I didn't think about taking my own food, I'm on a strict kind of diet anyway well not diet but way of living where as I don't eat fructose (sugar) it's hard with tropical fruits and I think that's going to be my downfall on holidays, oh well. Mozzie repellant I've just added to my list.

Are the utensils expensive to buy in Samoa, reason I ask is thst I'm going to Auckland for 4 days first and have to take warm weather clothes and get them shipped back by post, don't really want to take them all the way to Samoa, living in the tropics of Australia I'm not one for the cold and Auckland is literally going to kill me lol. I can see my bags are going to be chockers and I only really wanted to take bare basics.

I don't drink so that's a cost I won't have to bare.

Flip flops I usually wear in strange showers so yes they will be going.

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
556 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with daughter

Utensils are cheap, I often buy a sharp knife and large bowl when I get there- anything locals use is cheap, anything they don't use is very expensive( i.e suntan lotion, mozzie stuff).

same with food eat what they eat and its cheap, - that's why I like to be able to cook for myself, I am wheat intolerant and too much fat upsets me.

Fish, vegies and rice will be cheap and available (vegies are different from home,-plenty of green spinach like leaves, cucumbers, often tomatoes, celery and long beans, egg plant ) there is a lot of pre cooked food at the market e.g taro,or bananas with coconut, that you can reheat & you can cook the rice and fish in the microwave too.

Go to the market early for the best choice and explore the options,

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with daughter

Never tried taro finally will get the chance to. Yes I think I will buy the things I need over there and just donate them when I leave. I'm an early riser, living in the tropics you have to to best the heat so getting to the markets early won't be a problem for me, maybe for my daughter though lol

Get answers to your questions about Apia