We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nogales or El Paso

Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nogales or El Paso

HI...was planning to go to Nogales Mexico to buy some handicrafts etc. As people on this site are saying the food is no bargain - will I find the same for the artifacts? I am doing a 2 week trip of the southwest and the closest to Nogales I will get will be Albuquerque or Flagstaff and I wonder if El Paso border would be better. Or does anyone know what Olivera St in LA is like for cheap Mexican shopping (as we don't have a lot of time).

Thanks.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nogales or El Paso

Keep the car in the USA if you go and walk into Mexico. In only 2 weeks for the SW I would stay in the USA, you're not even close to the Mexican border from ABQ (El Paso) or Flagstaff. (Nogales). If you do want to go to Mexico I would go to Nogales instead of El Paso and don't forget your passport. Have fun

Tet

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nogales or El Paso

I do not know about Nogales, but I would not go to Juarez You can find deals in the US. In Albuquerque there is a flea market at the State Fair grounds on the weekends and you can find stuff directly from Mexico there. Also there is a fun shop Jackalope, also has tons of imports and is in Abq and Santa Fe.

The amount of money you would spend on gas driving to these border towns, will negate any savings. Plus if you are pressed for time, just shop in the cities and towns you are in.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,797 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nogales or El Paso

Once again I agree with CasaAzul. You aren't even going to be close to Mexico and it's ceratinly not worth all of that time and mileage to go there. Shop at Jackalope in Santa Fe or Albuquerque, and you'll see everything that you could see in Nogales, but in a cleaner environment, and the prices aren't much higher either.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nogales or El Paso

DreamOn already decided NOT to go to Mexico.....

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,621 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nogales or El Paso

Both ABQ and Flagstaff have many stores selling Mexican handcrafts. One does not save much shopping in border towns (if you did go, Nogales is much safer that Juarez) but one needs to know the value of things to know if the prices are good.

In the area of the City Market (9th St. and San Pedro) in downtown LA are stores to buy Mexican goods, and Olvera St. is also a good place:

http://www.olvera-street.com/

Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nogales or El Paso

Thank you all....you have helped me realize it is not worth the extra miles!

7. Re: Nogales or El Paso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Nogales