We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

Which Nogales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

I realize there are older posts on this topic. Does anyone have any new info re a walk across trip to Nogales. I did read the oct newspaper article on the police shooting. We have 2 teenagers and just want to see something different. I am used to living in Africa so seeing a lower income area is fine. I just want to be safe if we stick to main streets.

thankyou

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

While Nogales has been out of the news most of this month, my understanding is that the situation is much the same. I personally would choose somewhere else to go rather than risk my family there.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

The US State Department still has warnings out for Nogales, Juarez and other border towns. …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

I would stay in the US. My immigrant high school students do not want to go back to Mexico, scared of the violence!!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

"I remain unanimous" in my advice. There is nothing in Nogales worth a stray bullet. No visitor has been harmed over the past several months, but that's not exactly a prudent reason for going there. Nogales Sonora city officials have attempted to smooth over the situation by saying that the violence is not occurring in the tourist area, however some of it has been close by. Again, not worth it.

The Mexican government does not have control of the situation, not just in Nogales but anywhere. Their "drug czar" has just been removed for accepting bribes from drug cartels. A few weeks ago the head of security for the State of Sonora, essentially the state police chief, was assasinated in Nogales Sonora in his own hotel near the tourist area by drug gangs.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,922 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

There is nothing there to see or do that is worth the potential risks.

Why go?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

Thanks

As usual your advice is helpful and wise.

6. Re: Safety update for a Nogales family day trip at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 16:27
Get answers to your questions about Nogales