We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border on foot

Which Nogales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Holland, MI
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Crossing the border on foot

Can anyone tell me how far it would be for someone to walk from a drop off point in Nogales, AZ to a pick up place in Nogales, MX. We are traveling with lots of luggage and have been told it is easy and a short distance to walk across the boarder and have people pick us up on the other side. We will have a bus dropping us off and a different one picking us up, but walking a long distance would be difficult with our luggage. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the border on foot

Just be careful. Nogales is not the safest place to be with increased drug gang violence. With lots of luggage you could be a target.

I will let the experts discuss the distances you will need to cover, but possibly you can take a cab?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the border on foot

I would skip it they recently stated on our local nbc chanel that about 31 people in Nogales have died because of violent drug clashes. 4 of them were children. Not worth it in my opinion. But to each their own.

www.azcentral.com

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the border on foot

Have you already booked your buses? Where is your final destination in Mexico?

There are buses that go straight through to not only Nogales, Sonora, but also to Hermosillo. It seems like a bit of a hassle to have to run across the border with all of this luggage, regardless of how far it is.

The aforementioned violence is part of an escalating drug gang conflict, often involving police. No tourists have been targeted or even hurt in the violence, but it's, of course, possible, as shoot-outs are very public and typically fairly close to the border. Even people living in Nogales, Arizona have stopped going over because of the dangers.

However, the chances of you getting shot by just going over and catching a bus are very low, and, once you get off of the border, you'll be fine.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the border on foot

We are flying into Mexico and then taking a bus to the border. We are working with the Mexican government on a mission trip and they are providing a bus from/to Nogales, MX. We have 19 on the way down and 22 on the return, we have not booked a bus yet. I would like a bus for crossing the border as to walking , but I am finding that most can't cross and just drop off and then pick back up in a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the border on foot

You need to clarify. You could not be flying into Mexico, and then taking a bus to the border. If that were the case, you would not need to be crossing at Nogales AZ.

Assuming that you are actually flying into a US city, both Phoenix and Tucson have Mexican bus companies which travel into Nogales Sonora as Colin has told you. TUFESA is the best. www.tufesa.com.mx Look at the schedule for current date as their future date booking does not work. You need to actually call them as they usually run full, and you have a lot of people.

If you have lots of luggage, you will not want to be hauling it by hand for several blocks to cross the border on foot. It is easy to catch taxis within a block on the Mexican side. But it will still be a couple of blocks from the dropoff point on the US side.

Come back and tell us your actual travel plans. Flying into what city? Where are you to catch the bus being provided by the Mexican government?

All parties will need passports or a combination of drivers license and birth certificate. Any non-US citizens will need passports.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the border on foot

Your posts are conflicting. The first post you say you are coming from Az side to Mexico side. Your second post said flying into Mexico then bus to Mexico side to Az side. Very confusing as mentioned by Bobbear. Could you please clarify.....

I don't know who your group leader is for this mission trip but they should be the ones getting everything set up for this trip including informing the other travelers of what is required for entrance into Mexico. Which Bobbear mentioned is a valid passport. Is there possibly a similar church group in Nogales that could help you out??

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing the border on foot

You will also need to have travel permits for Mexico which are normally obtained at Mexican Immigration at KM 21 on the highway south of Nogales. The cost was $22 when the peso was 10:1 to the dollar; now roughly 13:1. The only other place they are available is at the Nogales MX airport. For that you need EITHER a passport OR a combination of government issued id such as drivers license and birth certificate. You also need the same to cross back into the US. I know I already said that, but felt it needed repeating as dragonflylady said you need passports. The passport requirement for land crossings does not go into effect until June 2009 at the earliest.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing the border on foot

Oops! Had a type-o we are flying into Phoenix. The Mexico bus can pick and drop our group off at any place we decide in Nogales, Mexico. My preference is to have a bus drop and pick us up in Nogales, Mexico at the same location as our Mexico bus will be and avoid walking across the border.

We have talked with TUFESA, but we would have to purchase tickets ahead and if our flight was delayed we would not be able to change our bus tickets, this is why we need to charter a bus from Phoenix to Nogales, Mexico and then back the following week since we have transportation from Nogales, MX to our final destination in Mexico.

Several bus companies have told me that it is a very short walk from where they would drop us off to cross the border, but that is my concern.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing the border on foot

Addendum to our private messages: The closest that you be dropped to the walking gate at the border crossing is about 2 blocks. Taxis are about a block on the other side.

10. Re: Crossing the border on foot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Nogales