We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Border on foot

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Border on foot

On a whim, my 18 year old son and I are traveling to Arizona in two weeks to watch spring training. We will spend most of our time in Phoenix/Scottsdale area. There is a game in Tucson we want to attend. After the game I thought it would be nice to have dinner at La Roca in Nogales, Sonora. I have a valid passport. My son does not.

Question 1: Does my 18 year old son need a passport or would a valid drivers license and birth certificate work?

Question 2: If the birth cert. and DL do not work, is there a qucik way to get a passport card in less then 2 weeks?

Thanks

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

I believe your son needs a passport. If you go online you will likely find that for a fee you can get a passport quickly.

Crazyjoe--do NOT drink the water. You run a very high risk of ruining a trip. Go online and research Mexico, Sonora, Nogales. Do some of your research in the Arizona Republic and in the Tuscon paper (whose name I have forgotten). You would be crazy not to read up on what's happening south of the border.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

You must have a valid passport to cross the border and re-enter. You can fast track an application but it's not guaranteed.

I would note that the US government has just issued a fist time recommendation NOT to cross at these border towns for a short visit such as yours. I'd plan to enjoy one of the restaurants in Tucson.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

Ok then, if I can't or shouldn't cross the border, what great Mexican Restaurants do you recomend for Tucson?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

If Mexican is what you want, El Charo has a long standing reputation as a family owned place to go. Read the reviews and check the recommendations by the Tucson experts for a list that's longer than you can imagine.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,219 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

The downtown location of El Charro would be the one to try. It is not the original location (which was lost as part of "urban renewal" in the 60's), but has been there a long time and is picturesque and charming. The food is better than La Roca. The specialty is carne seca, which is sun-dried beef tenderloin reconstituted. It is tender, has a unique and delicious taste .... it's not beef jerky. For soup I recommend sopa de albondigas, meatball soup.

IMO Phoenix has no Mexican restaurants equal to the best in Tucson. (I'm sure there will be some comments about that.)

My favorite Mexican restaurant is Crossroads at 4th Ave and 36th St. They have a more diverse menu than El Charro, which includes some really good seafood alternatives. My favorite is bacon-wrapped chiles rellenos stuffed with shrimp.

If there is a single menu item other than carne seca that speaks of Tucson, there are actually two. Chimichangas, deep-fried burritos, which are allegedly the result of an accident at El Charro in the 20s when a burrito fell in the deep fryer. The other is the cheese crisp, a large crisp flour tortilla covered in cheese and optional items like carne seca, chicken, tomatoes, green chiles, etc., and baked. The best are at Las Cazuelitas, Casa Molina and El Parador.

I travel in Mexico frequently and could not count how many times I have been to Nogales Sonora. I have not been there in well over a year. I have many friends there, but there is nothing there, even La Roca, which I like, that would make me want to experience stray bullets. No visitors have yet been harmed in the past 3 years of drug violence, but it has reached the area near the border recently.

A passport is required to re-enter the US. There is no point in discussing alternative documents as lacking a passport can result in significant delays in returning.

Edited: 06 March 2010, 05:18
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

wise choice, crazyjoe...what you would have spent to fast track your son's passport you can now spend on a great Mexican feast at one of these great restaurants listed here.

7. Re: Crossing the Border on foot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Nogales