We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border to mexico from AZ

Which Nogales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
1 post
Save Topic
Crossing the border to mexico from AZ

Im traveling alone for a few days in AZ, is it safe for a 30 yr female

to cross the border at nogales for shopping in Mexico

for the day?? Is the area very touristy/clean for mexico? Any info

appreciated....

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,930 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Crossing the border to mexico from AZ

Well, people, Nogales isn't for everyone. Yes, you have to look past the dirt. It is safer and nicer than any other border town I have been to, except maybe for some small ones like Palomas south of Columbus NM and Tecate near San Diego.

The area in Nogales Sonora near the border has existed for close to a century for tourists. Frankly, there are bargains to be had for those who know what they search, and there are several very good restaurants. Today the rest of Nogales is a busy and prosperous economic and business center.

But, "Nogales ain't the real Mexico." Visitors think they can experience a bit of Mexico by going there. But it is a border town.

Northern Mexico is also different from the rest of the country. When people do want to appreciate something of the real Mexico, I have a couple of day trips that I recommend into Sonora. It's safe, scenic and interesting.

Usa
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Crossing the border to mexico from AZ

We've traveled to Nogales regularly for the past 20 years and always had a good time. Traveling alone? female? Generally not a good idea anywhere now-a-days in my opinion....Mex or USA.

It's a Mexican border town people! It's not a sparkling sprawling metropolitan Mecca. My advice? find a friend, go during mid-day, enjoy the social differences, enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy a couple drinks, smile at the street vendors and shake your head no if you don't want to buy anything.

"Negative energy?!" Good grief! <RING> Your "shrink" is calling....

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,930 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Crossing the border to mexico from AZ

<RING> This post is over a year old, and answered in depth by several people.

14. Re: Crossing the border to mexico from AZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Nogales