We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nogales hotel choices

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Nogales hotel choices

Does anyone have any info for hotel choices in Nogales, Arizona side. A group of about 20 scuba divers are travelinng to San carlos but will only drive as far as Nogales. If anyone has any recommendations just for a place to sleep thats clean and safe it would be most appreciate. Its for Memorial Weekend so I figure we best be looking now. Any thougts would be most appreciate.

dragonflyladyofarizona@hotmail.com

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Just for some thought... When we were in Tucson on April 26 we stayed at the Day's Inn in Tucson. The clerk at the desk advised us NOT to go into Mexico at this point. She said a large drug bust just took place. You have no problems getting into Mexico, but IF you get back into the states, it's a 4-5 hour wait. She said the border was very unstable. We decided against crossing.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nogales hotel choices

I'm not worried about it just was at Rocky Point this weekend. Will be with a large group of people coming and going. And they go to mexico twice a month for dive classes. But thanks for the warning. Hey by the way how was your trip???

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Wonderful! Great! Sedona was so beautiful that we stopped there on the way up to the canyon for a night, then took the scenic route back through, just to see it again.

Highly recommend the pink jeep tour. Everyone has to do it!

Helicoptor at the canyon was awesome.

Tombstone was definitely the old west!

10 days. 1200 miles on the rental car. 1121 pictures!

What a trip

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Thats great Sue

"10 days. 1200 miles on the rental car. 1121 pictures!"

........Priceless :)

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Oh how I agree. If anyone is just browsing this site, saying to themselves we have to do that sometime......

Make it sometime now. I have never been farther west than Ohio. I saw country like I never saw before. Like I couldn't even imagine to ever see. Pictures do not do it justice and you can't explain to anyone what you saw. It is beautiful, beyond words.

I love my pictures, they are always my souveniers, but I am so happy that I got to experience all that I did. I said everyone should see that area, even once in their life. Yes, it is priceless.

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nogales hotel choices

I'll be in Tucson the first week of June and have been thinking about a day trip to Nogales for shopping. From replies to other posts, it seems like it might not be worth it.

But, if we do decide to go, I was wondering about the hassle of getting back. I'd like to hear from someone who has gone recently.

PASue mentioned hearing about long delays coming back. Would this be true if you cross by foot as well as by car?

Is there a website I can check for current information on any problems?

Thanks.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nogales hotel choices

yes you cvan go to the government website.

…state.gov/travel/…cis_pa_tw_1168.html

This is their travel warnng section. I only saw one warning about upcomming hurricane season. But click on the different headdings and it has different info. Updated daily. Like I've said I never had problems just some wait time on busy travel days that is why we go a day before or a day after.

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Don't let them scare you, man. Many people in Tucson think that Nogales (both sides) is some sort of lawless, third-world town with drug-related shoot-outs every day and wild bands of robbers running around kidnapping Americans.

Nogales is actually safer than Tucson as far as shootings. And there are certainly border drug busts, but there is a way to get around it: don't bring drugs across the border. That includes paraphenalia. Also make sure you're not trying to bring firearms into Mexico. They don't take kindly to it.

Nogales is mostly chain hotels. I've known people who have stayed at the Super 8 and had no complaints. There's also a Best Western there and at least one Motel 6.

Rio Rico has a much nicer place, and it's not too far away from the border.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nogales hotel choices

Hacienda Corona De Guevavi in Nogales would hold you all and breakfasts are delicious.

Get answers to your questions about Nogales