We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I worry about the drive?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Should I worry about the drive?

Last year, in June, I drove across Death Valley. Beforehand, having never experienced it before, I got myself a bit worked up about the desert driving and the toll it would take on my vehicle. As it turned out the journey was incident free and I had nothing to worry about.

Next June I intend on driving from Kingman to Oatman and on to Laughlin.

Should I used my new found experience to not worry about this drive or is the steep and curvy route from Kingman to Oatman a level above Death Valley in terms of tough desert driving?

Thank you.

24 replies to this topic
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

I wouldn't worry if i were you.

As long as you drive calm and don't let yourself get worked up by any faster traffic behind you, it's a really great drive. People take this route with RV's so if your driving a normal sized vehicle...no problem at all.

I just did the drive last summer with a really old Chevy van, depending on the state of the car, the only thing you need to check is that you don't overheat on the steep sections by keeping the aircon in the car blasting.

Enjoy the trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

Thank you.

No air con for the entire climb will be rule number one.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

There really is no need to worry. Yes, it goes over a little pass, and that means there are some bends in the road, but the road itself is perfectly alright, and it only gets dangerus when people are not or not watching the road. I'm sure you'll enjoy Oatman.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

Thank you. So Sitgreaves Pass is just a little one?

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

Yes, Sitgreaves Pass is not too terribly steep and there's nothing to worry about at all. It's a beautiful drive!

I saw your other post about the shoot-out schedule in Oatman. As far as I know, it happens every day at roughly noon. That's when the burros come down from the hills, because they know people are gathered in the town to watch the show and they will be fed. It's hilarious.

You might want to call at Oatman business--hotel, restaurant, etc.--just to double check. They should all know the schedule.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

Appreciate your reply. Do you think you could post the shoot-out information in that thread? It may prompt others who have a contribution to do so.

Thank you.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,322 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

You have nothing to worry about on the drive, it is very easy.

Be sure to stop at Cool Springs. Ed's Camp is along the drive but on private property.

https:/…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

We never turned off the a/c on any pass in the USA and certainly not at Sitgreaves pass. Only 5 miles of switchback and steep roads at both sides of the pass. Make a stop at the summit for picture taking. There's a goldmine west of Sitgreaves pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

Thank you, both.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,966 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I worry about the drive?

Worrying is like paying interest on a debt you may never owe. - Mark Twain

Reply to: Should I worry about the drive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oatman
Recent Conversations