We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in this area?

arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
where to stay in this area?

I'm going to Patagonia area and need advise on where to stay in the town? Has anyone been there and any information on the Stage Stop Inn?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in this area?

There is only one hotel in Patagonia, the Stage Stop Inn. It has "spotty" reviews, but the most recent say it is clean and well-maintained. There are several B&B's which you can find from the "Rest" link on this web page about Patagonia.

http://www.patagoniaaz.com/patagonia.html

I have eaten in several restaurants in Patagonia, sadly however the best are gone. You can find dining on the link above.

Patagonia is a quiet rural town at an elevation of about 4000', which makes it cooler than Tucson, at the foot of the Harshaw Mountains and on Sonoita Creek which is a "world-class" birding environment. It's kind of a "laid-back" place. The main industries are agriculture and tourism. It is very near the Sonoita/Elgin wine region of Arizona.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in this area?

You're better off staying at the resort in Rio Rico, or maybe even in Sonoita at the inn or one of the B & B's. Nogales motels are generally pretty awful.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in this area?

The Stage Stop Inn is not in Nogales. Rio Rico and Nogales are respectively 20 and 30 miles from Patagonia. The web page which I cited has B&Bs in the general Sonoita and Patagonia areas.

arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in this area?

Thanks for the input. We live in Phoenix and I haven't actually been into Patagonia,just driven by on the Freeway. Looking forward to going there.

We have a reservation at the new Wyndham Canoa Ranch,but we wanted to be in the town of Patagonia,or near because we are going to do wine tasting and site seeing.

We have a reservation at the Stage Stop Inn. I'm just wondering if it's OK to stay. I've seen some reviews that arent' the best.

Thanks,

AZ49

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in this area?

Patagonia ia a cute place and a vey scenic area. For lodging however, I would agree with Colinaz that you might find the Sonoita Inn more comfortable,

http://www.sonoitainn.com/

Phoenix
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in this area?

I just returned from a birding trip to Patagonia and was very disappointed with the Black Dove B&B. The room stank of moth balls. Additionally, I was told when I arrived I would have to share a bathroom with other guests. I was told my room had its own bathroom when I made the booking. My breakfast ( to go) consisted of 2 granola bars.

I met some other birders, also not happy (at all) with the Stage Stop Inn. It seems that the business is so good for birders they can charge a good price for a miserable experience.

I have heard from others that there are some nicer places.

7. Re: where to stay in this area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Patagonia