We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the attraction here?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
What's the attraction here?

We spent a few hours in Patagonia recently. We checked out the shops and found several to be overpriced and of marginal quality. We drove the residential streets and found them uniformly trashy, ugly, and forlorn, with broken-down trailers a common form of housing. Yet real estate prices are high -- am I missing something?

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the attraction here?

It's not in the city, Also sorry but I don't agree that Patagonia is trashy. As a kid I would love to play in the stream. Also when Summer hits you will see why it is desirable.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the attraction here?

My aunt has a 180 acre homestead in Patagonia and its very pritty. The attraction is a lot of western movies like some of the john wayne movies ect have been filmed out here. There is also a famous old 3 story house out here use to be owned by the family who owned the Chicago Tribune I believe that was used in many movies as well. If my memory is correct. Its very nice out here. As recent as 5 years or more land was relatively cheap out here so a lot of older folks moved out here because they could afford it like everything else its gone up.

I am sure if I went to New Hmpshire I'd be able to ask the same question of certain areas. LOL Get out of the city and into the country.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the attraction here?

Yeah, the snowbirds and retirees are the driving force behind the real estate hike in that area. It used to be cheap.

Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder though. A lot of people think that the desert is ugly, but I'd say to that, if they don't like it, they shouldn't come to it. More space for me. I'm sure people in Patagonia would say the same thing.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the attraction here?

Yeah, the town of Patagonia was pretty disappointing in my opinion. The area is VERY pretty though - relatively lush and green - and I like it very much.

Ken

5. Re: What's the attraction here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Patagonia