We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona

Which Payson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona

Hi Everyone,

I will be taking the Apache Trail (AZ 88) from Phoenix next week and driving up to Payson,AZ. For the Apache Trail I am debating between renting a full size sedan or an Intermediate SUV. Can a sedan make the trip just fine or should I pay extra for the SUV. Also, any tips ror stops along the way would be appreciated. We will be spending two nights in Payson. Need tips for there too. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona

I'd opt for the high clearance SUV. At times the road is fine for a sedan, but with the recent monsoonal rains, conditions have probably changed. Check with locals before you drive it for most up to date reports on conditions.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona

Tortilla Flat is the favorite stop, Canyon Lake has a diner on the water, there's a paddleboat cruise which is really a good way to see the area from the water's "viewpoint", and the visitor center at Roosevelt Dam is an interesting stop as well.

I love the Payson area:

paysonrimcountry.com/Activities/Top35ThingsT…

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona

I'd also go for the higher clearance SUV. We last did it in early June, with our Jeep, and it was easy to negotiate - any car could have done it. But as RR stated, with the steep grades and the tight turns and the recent rains, things change quickly. A SUV will also have (or at least should have) better tires for this kind of road. There's a lot of washboarding, and the suspension and shocks in a SUV are usually better able to let you ride it out without bouncing around too much and totally rearranging your innards in the process.

Make sure you stop at Tortilla Flat and check out the saloon.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona

I've seen all kind of cars on that road, even convertibles, but my pick also would be an SUV.

Reply to: Help with the Apache Trail and Payson, Arizona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted